Whatbird Community

Please help me identify a bird picture I took Dec 17, 2013 near the Merritt Is. NWR in Florida

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Like maybe the lighting is fooling me and it is really a crow.  

This is exactly why I didn't answer.  I'm not sure about it either.  I think the 'white' area on the primaries is too large, the bill doesn't appear shaped right for TUVU, and I don't like the way it's holding its wings.  I'm leaning crow but I'm not swearing to either species in court, even just this court of public opinion.

@xrascal, are there any other shots?

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4

Hi Guys

Appreciate all the responses.  What makes the most sense to me is an immature Turkey Vulture with confusing lighting.  The head just didn't seem right to me though.  Sorry, but that was the only shot I got before more exciting stuff to shoot came into view.  I highly recommend Merritt Is. NWR during migration season, although I had a lot to chose from in December.  I just hate that it's so far from Missouri. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrascal said:

Hi Guys

Appreciate all the responses.  What makes the most sense to me is an immature Turkey Vulture with confusing lighting.  The head just didn't seem right to me though.  Sorry, but that was the only shot I got before more exciting stuff to shoot came into view.  I highly recommend Merritt Is. NWR during migration season, although I had a lot to chose from in December.  I just hate that it's so far from Missouri. 

Yeah that head looks too big for a TUVU.  It probably is.  Did it fly like a Turkey Vulture, or was it flying in a direct line like a crow?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

There's a special corner of Hell reserved for your kind, full of scaup, female teal, large Sharpies and small Cooper's, mute flycatchers, and second-year gulls.

Shameful putting female teal in THAT group!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@Seanbirds, review https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/16365-crackling-goose-confirmation/#comment-99206

and you'll see 'Chirping Sparrow' was intentional, as part of discussion that went off track and onto the subject of erroneous names.

The Defense rests, your Honor.

Right, right. Forgot about that.

• Thanks 1