Whatbird Community

Larus sp (Thayer's?)

Yay! Gulls! Even though I arrived late to the gull roost, there were still several hundred gulls there, including two obvious Thayer's. I saw this bird for a few minutes, and its odd patterning and small bill made it stand out, and It flew off after a few minutes. Is it another Thayer's? Thanks in advance for any input.

2400?__hstc=264660688.d21f791bda4f4b33f2

I am thinking a first-cycle Thayer's would have an all-back bill and I would expect more defined lighter edges to the primary tips.  This is has a first-cycle Herring vibe to me.  Spotty scapulars, inner primary window, and the pale mucky bill base.  See what others think.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sfinmt said:

I am thinking a first-cycle Thayer's would have an all-back bill and I would expect more defined lighter edges to the primary tips.  This is has a first-cycle Herring vibe to me.  Spotty scapulars, inner primary window, and the pale mucky bill base.  See what others think.

2 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Herring

Thanks! I figured it was probably just a Herring that looked odd to me, but just thought I should double check.