Whatbird Community

LOL forum topic

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yesterday I spent seven minutes staring at two birds high up in a dead tree. It was from a weird angle, so I was only viewing their bellies. They appeared to have black heads and a barred appearance on the back. Their fronts were buffy. Guess what they were...

Blue Jays!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdNrd said:

Skimmer playing with a stick

DSCN1188.NRW.jpg

I never see them doing anything except hunt and lounge on the beach. Watching them hunt is cool but they seem to mostly lounge on the beach. Such cool looking birds but with very little personality at least in my experience so far.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

When you say "it's down to 96 out." and say it like that's a nice cool temperature... 

It's all relative. A few weeks ago it got to 113 deg here in Sacramento. When it dropped back down to 96 it did feel relatively cool! 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Seanbirds said:

Spotted, but I have minimal experience with Towhees in KS. Hopefully that changes soon.

Hopefully that changes for me soon too. Eastern Towhees!!! They are such a nemesis. I've gone to known Towhee locations with some spotted just a few days ago. No Towhees. When I went to the Nighthawk watch, the birding club said that a few minutes before I arrived, an Eastern Towhee was calling. Eastern Towhees are so frustrating!

• Like 1

Just now, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Hopefully that changes for me soon too. Eastern Towhees!!! They are such a nemesis. I've gone to known Towhee locations with some spotted just a few days ago. No Towhees. When I went to the Nighthawk watch, the birding club said that a few minutes before I arrived, an Eastern Towhee was calling. Eastern Towhees are so frustrating!

Talk about it! The same thing happened with me for a long time until I finally found one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, it's so annoying. I probably won't see one this year, because I think they're leaving soon for the winter.

I got lucky last spring and saw both on the same trip

• Like 3