Whatbird Community

This was from land.

Not a gull. I spent a lot of time studying this bird, and it was at least the size of a pelican, and it was constantly soaring, only flapping it's wings twice.

Here is some other shots of what I believe is the same bird:

DSCN5568.JPG

DSCN5568 (2).JPG

DSCN5569.JPG

DSCN5569 (2).JPG

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Can someone explain why this is definitely an Albatross? I've never seen one but the wings look fairly broad, straight and short. I don't see why this isn't a gull.

It looks huge relative to the gulls in the foreground in pics 1 and 3

• Like 1

Just now, IKLland said:

I’m curious what you mean by this? Do you mean to @Bird-Boys to just leave it unidentifiable?

Sometimes when you see birds and you THINK they are something, but you aren’t sure, and you aren’t able to conclusively document them, you just need to let them go. It can be frustrating to do so, but part of being a good birder is knowing when to let things go

• Like 7

15 hours ago, neilpa said:

It looks huge relative to the gulls in the foreground in pics 1 and 3

But the birds in the foreground in pics 1 and 3 look more like Shearwaters than gulls… the truth is it’s very difficult to conclusively identify any of the birds in the photos since they are just so far away. That’s not an insult to the photographer, just one of the constant struggles of seawatching everyone has to deal with

• Like 6