Whatbird Community

NYC, 10/25/18.  I couldn't get a good shot of this bird, it stayed in the shade and was mostly beak-deep in the grass.  It seemed darker than a Song Sparrow.  (I'm not sure the photos are the same bird.)

Kami

S2650048.thumb.JPG.93d79188f90a5fc7cf6a359a78076d57.JPGS2650047.thumb.JPG.4c1cb16850e48275120128d42a998d1e.JPGS2650042.thumb.JPG.6a6c968ec036cad39f8c37ddcdd42d84.JPG

Thanks.  I had to look that up ("eyebrow"), it's something I must remember!  I rarely see Lincoln's and Savannah Sparrows; all I can remember is that the Savannahs are lighter than Song Sparrows, and Lincoln's are darker.  Not much to go on.  Thanks again.

Yeah, Savannahs do tend to be lighter than Songs (they are more of a tan color rather than rich brown).  Savannahs also have thinner, pink beaks.

Another ID mark for Lincoln's is they have a buffy wash underneath the streaking on the breast and flanks (with a white belly) and in the malar area (from the beak to the sides of the throat).

• Like 1

Thanks again!  Do you have a link to a Song Sparrow which clearly shows the blue-gray superciliums?  On most of the Song Sparrows I see, they're gray.