Whatbird Community

Did I see a Chat ?

Today, Dec. 23, 2021, Skidaway Island, Chathm County, GA.  55 degrees, slight breeze, sunny.

Not the greatest photo, but it might do for an ID.  Could this be a chat?  It was noticeably larger than a Palm warbler that was nearby.

Thanks for your views and comments.

chat .jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

This looks like a Common Yellowthroat to me. 

Taking a closer look, I think you’re right.

4 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

@Peter said it was noticeably larger than a nearby Palm Warbler. I would expect a Yellowthroat to be the same size or smaller.

Size can be very hard to judge. 

Just now, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Just wondering how do you explain that really bold eye ring and those fan tail feathers?

Common Yellowthroats have white eye rings. Not sure what you mean about tail feathers. Either way, the structure is way off- Chats are large and elongated with long, drooping tails, gray/black legs and thick bills, not small and stocky with a fine bill, short tail, and pink fleshy legs.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Common Yellowthroats have white eye rings. Not sure what you mean about tail feathers. Either way, the structure is way off- Chats are large and elongated with long, drooping tails, gray/black legs and thick bills, not small and stocky with a fine bill, short tail, and pink fleshy legs.

Eyering is a bit on the bold side...nevermind.

I'd call this one a Common Yellowthroat too. The eye ring does look a little bit bold but the light is hitting right there so that could be making it look more prominent. I agree that the bill size and shape, tail, and leg color fit better for C. Yellowthroat. 

...(Unless it's a Chat in a Hat...or a Chapeau!)

• Like 2

That eyering sure is bolder than any yellowthroat I've seen. . . . .but also, to me the bill is just not bulky enough for a Chat, and there should be white in the malar area. I would expect the yellow to go down further too.

Sidenote-Chats are rare in Georgia in the winter, although they DO happen. HamRHead has had them in our area in the winter before.

• Like 5