Whatbird Community

More Arizona Birds

First, thanks to all whom have helped me with my previous postings. 

For the first picture, from Gilbert Water Ranch, I feel I should know this guy, but have drawn a blank.

Number 2 I believe is a Lincoln Sparrow.

Number 3 I believe is a greater (or lesser) yellowlegs  

Number 4 does not have lighting to illuminate the gorget, so not sure if it is enough to ID which hummer this is. 

Number 5 is from Gilbert Water Ranch, as are number 1-4

Number 6 is from Lake Cochise in Willcox

Number 7 I believe is a Harris' Hawk, seen at Sweetwater in Tucson

Hopefully I won't embarrass myself with any of them.  Thanks.  Rich

DSCN9292 (2).JPG

DSCN9364 (2).JPG

DSCN9394 (2).JPG

DSCN9237.JPG

DSCN9249.JPG

DSCN8831.JPG

DSCN9264.JPG

12 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

1. House Sparrow

2. Lincoln's Sparrow

3. Greater Yellowlegs (I think)

4. not a hummingbird expert

5. Indigo Bunting?

6. 🤦‍♀️

7. Harris's Hawk

Agree on 1 2 3 7.

4 is Costa's Hummingbird I think, 5 I'll pass on, 6 is a Brown-headed Cowbird I think.

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 4

Thanks to all.  I gave bad information on number 5.  I reviewed the date / time stamp again, and realized it came from Patagonia, AZ, at the Paton Reserve - not Gilbert - and I saw it shortly after others had been seeing Lazuli Buntings in a couple of trees nearby.  They said 'the buntings had left, but they will come back later'.  I thought I had missed them all.  I think this was a female that had not gone very far - or maybe was just the first one to return.    

I think 'Brown headed Cowbird' female is the right call on number 6.  The sun was very low, giving everything a reddish hue, thus the coloration.  I did not know where to start on this one, but once pointed in that direction I can see what looks to be the right markings.

Rich

6 hours ago, IKLland said:

Ok, why?

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

I'm wondering as well, that is a really long gorget for an Anna's, and that's right in the center of Costa's range. 

1. Male Costa's generally has a 'vested' appearance with bright white at the top of the breast and greenish on the sides, as opposed to this overall greenish muddy plumage that is indicative of Anna's

2. While both are pretty common at this location, Anna's is significantly more common.

3. The gorget shape and size is wrong for Costa's, which has a much longer gorget that extends further downwards. I'm pretty sure that if we lightened up the image you'd see some pinkish tones, though gorget color is not always the best indicator.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hasan said:

1. Male Costa's generally has a 'vested' appearance with bright white at the top of the breast and greenish on the sides, as opposed to this overall greenish muddy plumage that is indicative of Anna's

I'd never heard of that field mark, Thanks!

I agree with Anna's now.

• Like 2