Whatbird Community

2022 Birding Resolutions

Avery

Here are my goals for the new year!

1. Orchard Oriole 

They are relatively uncommon in VT, but much more common in TN! This species is basically the last resident breeding species in VT that I do not have on my life list.

2. Nemesis to Vanquish

Nelson’s Sparrow, Iceland Gull, Barn Owl

Y’all understand how nemesis work. No remarks needed. 😉 

3. Expand my Audio Library

I’ve got the tools, I just need to try harder! It’s hard to juggle photographs and audio, especially when mostly what people want is a photo. But, I can definitely try to bump up my species recorded. Might be tricky for some species, but that’s where the fun is!

Current: 143

Goal: 200

4. Grow Life List

Because I’m in college in a new state, I have the opportunity to see species not even heard of at home. For example, the WHOOPING CRANES 2 hours south of campus in the winter!!! I still have some common birds left to find, and the rarities will come. Maybe a trip to the Gulf Coast over Spring Break? 

Current: 337

Goal: 375 (400 for Hard Mode)

5. Finish THE SPREADSHEET

I’ve been working on a spreadsheet that includes all birds on the ABA checklist Code 1-3. It has all the subspecies, morphs, and whatever else I find or think of on it. It will be helpful for keeping track of subspecies not listed on eBird, and for morphs/conditions. I’m finished with the basic inputs, but now I have to put in descriptions, ranges, links to my media, and do some research. I talked with the ornithology professor at my college and he convinced the school to by a BoTW subscription! Can’t wait! It will be a helpful way to see what species /subspecies I still need audio or photos of. And of course as a reference!

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Avery said:

3. Expand my Audio Library

Can you recommend an easy-to-use tool for a beginner to edit audio captured by Merlin?  I'd like to do this on my Windows computer, not a phone or tablet, if possible.  I have audio of a lifer Clapper Rail that I'd like to add to eBird.  (First I have to figure out how to get the file off the phone.)

• Like 1

• 1. Get my life list to 300. This was a great first year of birding for me, I saw 250 species in 14 months. I think now that I’ve gotten so many lifers, I think it’s now gonna be harder to get them. I’m at 250 right now, will probably end the year at 252 or so. 
  • 2. Northern flicker. Even though they’re pretty uncommon here, I’m still shocked I haven’t seen one. They’re reported, just infrequently. I’ve see a thick billed kingbird but I can’t see a flicker!!??
  • 3. Bell’s Vireo. I searched hard and far last summer for these, went to locations that they were commonly reported, I just couldn’t find one.
  • 4. Better photos of California gnatcatchers. I have a hotspot were these are very common, but I don’t have a good shot of them. I’m hoping for a breeding male, with the black cap of these fascinating small birds. 
  • 5. County list to 250. I’m at 206 right now.
  • 6. I’m at 2000 photos on maculay, I’m gonna try to get to 5000. 
  • 7. Have a checklist with over 100 species. There’s a hotspot near me that i can easily get 80 species in the winter, but I’m gonna try for 100. It’s probably only possible in the winter though, unless I do some sort of big day during migration.
  • 8. Get into the top 100 for my county. I think I can get it if I get my life list to at least 300. 

Im looking forward to an incredible year, and my second full year of birding. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Can you recommend an easy-to-use tool for a beginner to edit audio captured by Merlin?  I'd like to do this on my Windows computer, not a phone or tablet, if possible.  I have audio of a lifer Clapper Rail that I'd like to add to eBird.  (First I have to figure out how to get the file off the phone.)

By editing audio, what are you wanting to do? Just cropping it, or using EQ (messing with frequencies)? 

Audacity is free and a great tool, but it’s not very user friendly. It can do whatever you want to do, but it’s a lot to look at and figure out. 

I haven’t really used anything other than my Digital Audi Workstation that I use to create music, but looking online, Ocenaudio looks like another good option. More user friendly. 

From your phone, you should download it as a file on your phone, then send it to yourself through email or any other media sharing thing. Then you can bring it into software. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing too ambitious here. I have long been trying to reach 600 for my ABA list. A first trip to Florida, or revisiting South Texas would likely accomplish this, but with Covid, and now a 14 month old at home, I'm likely a few years away from a big birding trip like the ones I used to be able to go on.

So, my immediate goals for 2022 are fairly simple:

- Grow my county list (still have one or two rare but annual species to pick up, aside from unexpected vagrants).

- Take better bird pictures and work on getting some quality video to upload to eBird.

- Pelagics; Would love a Flesh-footed Shearwater or any species of gadfly petrel.

- Continually improve/craft my ID skills, with a focus on gulls and other challenging identifications. Slow down, take more time, and truly STUDY birds.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

I would simply like to see more species next year than I saw this year (165 so far this year, almost all fairly close to home).

Since I started using eBird and uploaded my semi-accurate 'Historical' records, 2021 is the first year when I didn't see more species than the year before.  I had more than the usual number of family distractions and obligations.  Ah, well; 50 years from now, who will know the difference?

• Like 3

I’ll keep it simple. Bird more.

Which included but is not limited to 😁

Several big days. County and maybe state. I probably won’t beat any records, but I want to see what’s possible. 

Make a list with 100 or more species on it! Should be possible at several locations.

Increase either my yard or the family property list to 150 species

Increase my state list to 300 bird species

Move into the top 10 in my county

Just explore more places in general.

Bird out of state once.

Eliminate some nemesis birds.

Find a review species or something.

• Like 7

I may try to get into top 200 in the state.  Not sure what that number is specifically, but may “chase” more state needs.  Top 100 is probably around 50 birds, and Target Species would put some crazy birds as needed.  Several review species in that 50-60 birds for Top 100, so probably out of the question.  

• Like 3

Birds:

Eastern Screech-Owl. I WILL FIND YOU ADORABLE LITTLE EAR TUFT FLUFFBALLS IF IT TAKES ME THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!

Rusty Blackbird. Difficult, but doable.

More warblers. I really don’t care the species.

Black Tern!!

Nelson’s Sparrow.

Short-eared Owl.

I want a Prairie-Chicken (probably Greater). 

Smith’s Longspur.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, chipperatl said:

I may try to get into top 200 in the state.  Not sure what that number is specifically, but may “chase” more state needs.  Top 100 is probably around 50 birds, and Target Species would put some crazy birds as needed.  Several review species in that 50-60 birds for Top 100, so probably out of the question.  

Not sure why I didn’t think of this.  I am now at 246 species for the county.  Wouldn’t be easy, but I have a shot to hit 250.  Not bad when you consider before I started birding our county probably only had around 260 species recorded.  

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, IKLland said:
  • 1. Get my life list to 300. This was a great first year of birding for me, I saw 250 species in 14 months. I think now that I’ve gotten so many lifers, I think it’s now gonna be harder to get them. I’m at 250 right now, will probably end the year at 252 or so. 
  • 2. Northern flicker. Even though they’re pretty uncommon here, I’m still shocked I haven’t seen one. They’re reported, just infrequently. I’ve see a thick billed kingbird but I can’t see a flicker!!??
  • 3. Bell’s Vireo. I searched hard and far last summer for these, went to locations that they were commonly reported, I just couldn’t find one.
  • 4. Better photos of California gnatcatchers. I have a hotspot were these are very common, but I don’t have a good shot of them. I’m hoping for a breeding male, with the black cap of these fascinating small birds. 
  • 5. County list to 250. I’m at 206 right now.
  • 6. I’m at 2000 photos on maculay, I’m gonna try to get to 5000. 
  • 7. Have a checklist with over 100 species. There’s a hotspot near me that i can easily get 80 species in the winter, but I’m gonna try for 100. It’s probably only possible in the winter though, unless I do some sort of big day during migration.
  • 8. Get into the top 100 for my county. I think I can get it if I get my life list to at least 300. 

Im looking forward to an incredible year, and my second full year of birding. 

I’ve got a flicker so far, but none other of these are complete yet. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:25 PM, Peromyscus said:

I would simply like to see more species next year than I saw this year (165 so far this year, almost all fairly close to home).

So far, I am running ahead of last year. I picked up 6 species today, putting me at 96 species. I am almost 6 weeks ahead of last year's 96 species date. So far, so good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My goals for this year are much the same as last year, which was my first serious year of birding. (Prior to 2021, it was shoot first, ask questions later. I'd take photos and ID the species when I got home.)

• Fill in more of the common ABA species.
    • As of April 1, eBird says my top 5 targets in the USA are the Baltimore Oriole, California Scrub-Jay, Field Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, and Purple Finch.
    • On January 1, I set a goal of 40 new ABA species this year; I've seen 26 so far.
    • At least 1 new ABA Code 4 or 5 species would be really nice.
  • Fill in more of the common species in Clark County, Nevada.
    • As of April 1, my top 5 targets are the Cactus Wren, MacGillivray's Warbler, Canyon Wren, Scott's Oriole, and Bell's Vireo.
    • On January 1, I set a goal of 25 new county species this year; I've seen 12 so far.
  • Take a few trips to new areas around the USA. I was already able to visit Tucson and parts of South Carolina this year, with trips planned for San Diego and Long Island. I really need to travel along the Pacific coast up to the PNW someday. A pelagic would be really nice. (I'd love to bird outside the country someday, too.)
  • Get better photographs of everything. 😁 I picked up an new lens last year, and it feels like I've invalidated a lot of my past photos outside of a few dozen keepers.
  • Complete an eBird 365 challenge without missing a day. Yard checklists are sufficient, but I want to go out weekly if I can. I flaked a lot during the summer last year.
Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 7