Whatbird Community

Meadowlark - Eastern or Western - Houston area - Dec. 22

Meadowlark spotted in prairie and lake area west of Houston. Eastern Meadowlarks frequently seen in area but recently there have been some reports on eBird of Western Meadowlark sightings. Photos posted looked very similar to my photos as attached. Dull coloring (non-breeding) - head appears flat - it was by itself. Initially thought it was non-breeding Eastern but it appears very similar to those of Westerns I have seen posted this month. Thanks!

2021.1222bb.r.Meadowlark.JPG

2021.1222bc.r.Meadowlark.JPG

2021.1222bd.r.Meadowlark.JPG

Bumping this up so hopefully someone else can review and comment. Meadowlarks are difficult at the best of times. I do not see any yellow showing in the malar area so my guess (and it truly is a guess) would be Eastern Meadowlark but please wait for more experienced birders to comment. I always love spotting a Meadlowlark ?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kerri said:

Bumping this up so hopefully someone else can review and comment. Meadowlarks are difficult at the best of times. I do not see any yellow showing in the malar area so my guess (and it truly is a guess) would be Eastern Meadowlark but please wait for more experienced birders to comment. I always love spotting a Meadlowlark ?

That was my guess as well but I don't have any experience distinguishing these two other than the quiz a few weeks ago. Tagging in @Liamto perform an act of penance and help with this.

• Like 1