Whatbird Community

What was your favorite bird of 2021?

IKLland

Almost three years ago, my parents built a new house on a tidal estuary / salt marsh.  We'd sit on the deck and watch the traffic at their feeders and the wading birds flying over and into the marsh.  I said repeatedly that there had to be rails in there but we didn't hear any, much less see them.

In late Sept. my 88-year-old father passed away after a few weeks of declining health.  The next day, as the family sat out on the deck, my lifer Clapper Rail opened up in the marsh.  I heard it again three more times over the next few days, and twice glimpsed it briefly.

Edited by Aveschapines
Original poster requested a correction.
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Black-legged Kittiwake - will never see another one this far inland in my lifetime (lifer)

Black-necked Stilt - my bucket list bird (Michigan Review species, self-found, in my county)

Snowy Owl - Adult Male, nearly pure white, felt like a lifer. 

Honorable Mentions to county firsts American Avocet, and self-found Ruddy Turnstone

• Like 7

1. Probably 1st co. record Streak-backed Oriole continuing into early 2021.

2. 3rd co. record Williamson's Sapsucker on the coast.

3. Pine Warbler a couple of months ago.

4. 3rd co. record Golden-winged Warbler.

5. 3rd. co record Grace's Warbler.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Almost three years ago, my parents built a new house on a tidal estuary / salt marsh.  We'd sit on the deck and watch the traffic at their feeders and the wading birds flying over and into the marsh.  I said repeatedly that there had to be rails in there but we didn't hear any, much less see them.

In late Sept. my 88-year-old father passed away after a few weeks of declining health.  The next day, as the family sat out on the deck, my lifer Clapper Rail opened up in the marsh.  I heard it again three more times over the next few days, and twice glimpsed it briefly.

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 3