Whatbird Community

Millet, I apologize.

For years I thought of you as trash food.  Sure, I acknowledged you were better than milo, but I still had no use for you.  I regarded you as food for birds I didn't want in the yard anyway.  I said that birds that preferred you would also eat BOSS anyway, so why put out two feeds?  Indeed, if that opened bag of finch mix hadn't been marked down, I'd still be ignoring you.

I've never had so many Chipping Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

You talked me into it, I got some seed mix(first ingredient millet) yesterday, I mixed about 1/3 BOSS into it, and then put out 50/50 BOSS and the mixed.

I already have a few more Juncos and about 8 new Harris's Sparrows, so far so good, we will see how it works out in the long run. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kevin said:

You talked me into it, I got some seed mix(first ingredient millet) yesterday, I mixed about 1/3 BOSS into it, and then put out 50/50 BOSS and the mixed.

I already have a few more Juncos and about 8 new Harris's Sparrows, so far so good, we will see how it works out in the long run. 

I'm also seeing White-throateds.  Just a couple a week, but I usually only see three or four all winter.  I can't necessarily directly credit the millet for that small an increase; they may just be tagging along with the other sparrows.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

After a record season for my yard, the juncos and White-throateds that clustered beneath the millet feeder are gone.  I was going to take the feeder down for the season but ...

Historically I've had a Painted Bunting in the yard roughly every other year.  This April I had four, all at the feeder with millet.  I'll leave the feeder up a while longer, just partially fill it.

• Like 1