Whatbird Community

Hi all,

Due to the cold weather outside, I'm revisiting old pictures of past birding trips to find birds I have ignored.

Here are 3 pictures of a Myiarchus flycatcher, I took in West Belize (near Mountain Pine Ridge), on December 29, 2015.

These are the only 3 pictures I have of this bird. According to my 'Birds of Belize' book, I have 4 options: Dusky-capped (the most common), Great-crested, Yucatan (both less common) and Brown-crested (definitively the least common).

I can't decide which is it. Any help will be welcomed. Thanks

201512-Belize-DSC_3055.jpg.977f7f77ed3717e6be1737be56de8688.jpg201512-Belize-DSC_3056.jpg.fbd26183177929d2fe95e9c1a173d983.jpg201512-Belize-DSC_3054.jpg.6c503d5d42519bc6975ad2aaafa0a39f.jpg

1 hour ago, Avery said:

I’m having trouble seeing this as anything other than an Ash-throated Flycatcher, which would be highly unusual for Belize I believe. 

My first thought was great crested, but the bill is wrong. It looks like ash throated to me too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Avery said:

I’m having trouble seeing this as anything other than an Ash-throated Flycatcher, which would be highly unusual for Belize I believe. 

7 hours ago, IKLland said:

My first thought was great crested, but the bill is wrong. It looks like ash throated to me too.

Thanks.

Ash-throated has never been reported in Belize on eBird, so I doubt this is this bird. I can keep it as Myiarchus sp., no problem.

Out of curiosity, why are you excluding Dusky-capped? 

3 hours ago, PascalNJ said:

Thanks.

Ash-throated has never been reported in Belize on eBird, so I doubt this is this bird. I can keep it as Myiarchus sp., no problem.

Out of curiosity, why are you excluding Dusky-capped? 

I have little experience with Myiarchus flycatchers, but using a field guide this bird is extremely drab compared to others. It’s undertail is white, eliminating many species. @DLecy, @Connor Cochrane@AlexHenry any thoughts?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I think it's Dusky-capped. The birds lack of any strong wing bars really only leaves Dusky-capped and Yucatan as options, and the real dark head should eliminate Yucatan.

Ok. My impression was that the head wasn’t really dark at all. The bird just looks so drab! Maybe someday I’ll get some experience with something other that Great-crested 😆 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I think it's Dusky-capped. The birds lack of any strong wing bars really only leaves Dusky-capped and Yucatan as options, and the real dark head should eliminate Yucatan.

Yes, that's what I think it is.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avery said:

Ok. My impression was that the head wasn’t really dark at all. The bird just looks so drab! Maybe someday I’ll get some experience with something other that Great-crested 😆 

The drab look has a lot to do, I think, with the poor picture and that I had to push the exposure in processing it. 

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

I'd call that a Dusky-Capped if I saw it here, well out of range for Yucatan (which I've never seen), especially if I had confirmed more yellow on the underparts than is obvious in these photos. Dusky-Capped are much more drab than Great Crested on the upperparts (wings/back/tail).

For what it's worth, Merlin says that local populations of Dusky-Capped are very hard to distinguish from Yucatan, and they are best differentiated by voice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

I'd call that a Dusky-Capped if I saw it here, well out of range for Yucatan (which I've never seen), especially if I had confirmed more yellow on the underparts than is obvious in these photos. Dusky-Capped are much more drab than Great Crested on the upperparts (wings/back/tail).

For what it's worth, Merlin says that local populations of Dusky-Capped are very hard to distinguish from Yucatan, and they are best differentiated by voice.

As I said above, the drab appearance has also to do with the poor quality of these pictures. 

Processed differently, the 3rd picture looks like this:

201512-Belize-DSC_3054-2.jpg.ede0bbf068d33a727e9a64d60046b283.jpg

And a few minutes before this picture, I took another one (different bird, I think):

201512-Belize-DSC_3041.jpg.7c81a26f8f7769570b59dc2ce5cdf8f0.jpg

Thanks for your comment!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PascalNJ said:

As I said above, the drab appearance has also to do with the poor quality of these pictures. 

Processed differently, the 3rd picture looks like this:

201512-Belize-DSC_3054-2.jpg.ede0bbf068d33a727e9a64d60046b283.jpg

And a few minutes before this picture, I took another one (different bird, I think):

201512-Belize-DSC_3041.jpg.7c81a26f8f7769570b59dc2ce5cdf8f0.jpg

Thanks for your comment!

Yes, those look better, and I could see some yellow in the original photos too. 😄 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

Yes, those look better, and I could see some yellow in the original photos too. 😄 

Ok, next time, let me know which color you want to see, and I'll push a few sliders in Lightroom 😁

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, PascalNJ said:

Ok, next time, let me know which color you want to see, and I'll push a few sliders in Lightroom 😁

Oh, cool! I like purple 😜

(Then you can make one of those Facebook memes about how gorgeous nature is with your purple flycatchers, green and yellow robins, and rainbow hummingbirds...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

Oh, cool! I like purple 😜

(Then you can make one of those Facebook memes about how gorgeous nature is with your purple flycatchers, green and yellow robins, and rainbow hummingbirds...)

Ok, I like purple too. I'll post a picture when I see a Purple flycatcher.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1