Whatbird Community

Immature Kriders?

I don't have extensive experience with Krider's as I have been primarily a CA birder. Better pictures are ideal, but the one thing I noted is the heavy belly-band, which is problematic for a pure Krider's. I'm inclined to call this a white-faced "Eastern" or perhaps even a Krider's x "Eastern." I'm also not convinced the bird is a juv, as the tail appears to be somewhat reddish, indicating an adult RTHA.

@Greenesnake seems to be the resident RTHA expert, so it would be good to her from them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

I don't have extensive experience with Krider's as I have been primarily a CA birder. Better pictures are ideal, but the one thing I noted is the heavy belly-band, which is problematic for a pure Krider's. I'm inclined to call this a white-faced "Eastern" or perhaps even a Krider's x "Eastern." I'm also not convinced the bird is a juv, as the tail appears to be somewhat reddish, indicating an adult RTHA.

@Greenesnake seems to be the resident RTHA expert, so it would be good to her from them.

I will count it as Red-tailed with a description  of the pale underparts & head with malar stripe.  Thanks @DLecy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I got locked out of my account and just got back This bird for me is just a lightly colored juvenile Red-tail that's most likely just an Eastern borealis, on the light end of the spectrum. It's too heavily marked below to be a pure Krider's.

Edited by Greenesnake
  • Like 3