Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Digital File Naming Issue


Recommended Posts

I have a Nikon B600.  When I photograph it automatically assigns a name to the picture.  Something like DSC_0139 or DSCN2948.  Every time I take a picture, the number value goes up by one, even if I turn the camera off or remove the files off the memory card.  So the naming doesn't repeat until it reaches the highest value.

Now, I recently got a Nikon D5600.  It does a similar thing except it resets the count every time I turn it off.  I can't figure out how to stop it doing this.

I like to dump my photos into a temporary file so I can sift through them in my own time, but I can't do this with this D5600 because if I go birding with this temporary folder still holding pictures, I'll end up with two files with the same name, which my computer doesn't like.  If anyone knows how to make my D5600 more like my B600 in this regard I would be most interested

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the short term, instead of moving all the photos off the camera, move all but the last one.  Instead, copy it so you don't lose it, but leave it on the camera.  Maybe the camera will 'see' it and start the next photo's number after it.

This sounds like a setting in one of the set-up menus.  Was this a used camera that maybe the previous owner preferred this behavior?  Respectfully, have you looked in the manual?

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a good suggestion about leaving a copy of the last photo.  I give that a go next time.

I have not noticed something about this in the manual and it isn't an easily searched topic online.  I think its just too small a thing.  I figured this was the kind of thing someone learns or finds out as they get familiar with the object which is why I put it in the forum.  Still waiting for dpreview moderators to approve my post.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacMe said:

That is a good suggestion about leaving a copy of the last photo.  I give that a go next time.

I have not noticed something about this in the manual and it isn't an easily searched topic online.  I think its just too small a thing.  I figured this was the kind of thing someone learns or finds out as they get familiar with the object which is why I put it in the forum.  Still waiting for dpreview moderators to approve my post.

If you haven't customized the set-up much, you could restore the defaults.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

'File number sequence' is selected from the 'Custom Setting' menu, to be either 'on' or 'off'.  If set to 'off', the camera will reset the four-digit number back to the beginning of the sequence.  However, if that setting is set to 'on' the camera will remember where the number sequence left off and continue the file numbers from that point, until it reaches the maximum count of 9999.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this will help or not, @MacMe. I'm not a Nikon user but tried to find a solution for you. I watched this youtube video and although they don't discuss it, there's a few scenes where you can see the menu options, including a File Naming option and a File Number Sequence option. The File Number Sequence option is in the Pencil looking folder of your menu options and I suspect you just need to switch it from off to on, which is supported by @xpoetmarcrwho posted while I was typing this.

1723133064_ScreenShot2022-01-13at4_48_25PM.thumb.png.32aa2b24aaf9bdd93c93f1ad3b64e6ae.png

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not sure if this will help or not, @MacMe. I'm not a Nikon user but tried to find a solution for you. I watched this youtube video and although they don't discuss it, there's a few scenes where you can see the menu options, including a File Naming option and a File Number Sequence option. The File Number Sequence option is in the Pencil looking folder of your menu options and I suspect you just need to switch it from off to on, which is supported by @xpoetmarcrwho posted while I was typing this.

Good eye! I think I watched this video but totally missed it.  He goes right past both those menu options.  I'll check them out next chance I get. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wish the naming system would just default to date, and then a file number.  I have to go back through all my blog pages, and webpages and try to correct a few dozen pictures.  When I uploaded them they had the same file name, so website just overwrote the old ones with no error messages.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, chipperatl said:

Wish the naming system would just default to date, and then a file number.  I have to go back through all my blog pages, and webpages and try to correct a few dozen pictures.  When I uploaded them they had the same file name, so website just overwrote the old ones with no error messages.  

When I import images to my computer, I also use a preset to change all of the names at the same time to include the date.  For example, my default naming system is something like MLR_220120_0001.  The first 3 are my initials, the next 6 are the date (YYMMDD), and the last group is the image number set (in camera) to increment with each shutter release.  That way there will never be files with the same name and files will always sort in order of image number and date.  I can also do a filename search based on the last four and see by the file name when it was taken.  Or, do a filename search by the date.

If you use more than one camera, you can avoid duplicate filenames by adding the camera model number (ex.: D5600, 5D, etc.) in the file name as well.  In that case, this is how I name the file:  MLR_D500_220120_0001.  

Another 2¢ from my piggy bank.  😅

Edited by xpoetmarcr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never knew you could even turn off the file number sequence. I just wish its high end was  more then then 9999.

it not been much of a problem since i copy my files off the chip into files with the place name or event name and the Date taken.

makes it a lot easier to for me to keep track that way.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, xpoetmarcr said:

When I import images to my computer, I also use a preset to change all of the names at the same time to include the date.  For example, my default naming system is something like MLR_220120_0001.  The first 3 are my initials, the next 6 are the date (YYMMDD), and the last group is the image number set (in camera) to increment with each shutter release.  That way there will never be files with the same name and files will always sort in order of image number and date.  I can also do a filename search based on the last four and see by the file name when it was taken.  Or, do a filename search by the date.

If you use more than one camera, you can avoid duplicate filenames by adding the camera model number (ex.: D5600, 5D, etc.) in the file name as well.  In that case, this is how I name the file:  MLR_D500_220120_0001.  

Another 2¢ from my piggy bank.  😅

I have a very similar file naming system. For me it is date_time_initials_cameramodel_filenumber. Where the date is written backwards (year, month, day) so the file order is always correct in the file explorer. When importing the files in Lightroom the program automatically renames all the files.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, xpoetmarcr said:

When I import images to my computer, I also use a preset to change all of the names at the same time to include the date.  For example, my default naming system is something like MLR_220120_0001.  The first 3 are my initials, the next 6 are the date (YYMMDD), and the last group is the image number set (in camera) to increment with each shutter release.  That way there will never be files with the same name and files will always sort in order of image number and date.  I can also do a filename search based on the last four and see by the file name when it was taken.  Or, do a filename search by the date.

If you use more than one camera, you can avoid duplicate filenames by adding the camera model number (ex.: D5600, 5D, etc.) in the file name as well.  In that case, this is how I name the file:  MLR_D500_220120_0001.  

Another 2¢ from my piggy bank.  😅

I’m all over getting that set up today then.  Didn’t even know that was an option in LR.  Thank you.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...