Whatbird Community

Thayer's Gull question

This may seem like an odd question, but I wonder if anyone else has ever made this comparison. I was at a frozen lake yesterday in NE Ohio. There was a small patch of open water about 200 meters from where I was standing, replete with geese, mallards, and hundreds of gulls. The gulls were primarily Ring-billed, with a handful of Herring gulls interspersed. Most were standing on the frozen lake, not in the open water. Among the larger gulls I noticed one that looked somewhat different and wondered if it could be a Thayer's gull. It was immature, but smaller than nearby Herring gulls, with a dark bill.

While I was observing, I occasionally heard what I thought was a dog barking out on the ice. When I listened to the calls of Iceland Gulls on my Merlin app, the call was precisely what I was hearing from the ice. Has anyone here ever made that association, the call of a Thayer's with the bark of a dog? 

I would most definitely not ID Iceland Gull based on voice. Gulls have extremely variable calls, and there are very few recordings of that species, let alone literature on how they might be separated.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 1

Thanks. In case anyone is interested in what I'm describing, open Merlin, search Iceland Gull > Sounds > and open the 3rd file down, Calls (Thayer's). That's precisely what I heard. I have not definitively identified this as an Iceland Gull. I'm more curious if anyone else has heard something similar; it reminds me of a barking dog. 

21 hours ago, Hasan said:

I would most definitely not ID Iceland Gull based on voice. Gulls have extremely variable calls, and there are very few recordings of that species, let alone literature on how they might be separated.

Will you do me a favor? Please go to the link below, open the green Listen button on the right, and listen to the third file down, Calls (Thayer's). This is precisely what I heard. I'm not trying to confirm this as a sighting. I'm trying to educate myself, relying on people who know more that I do. Thank you. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Iceland_Gull/sounds

• Like 2