Whatbird Community

Faintly hooded Ring-billed Gull - SW MI 12/2014

Randomly going back through old pics.  I thought I remember that RBGU can sometimes get a hooded look to them, but can't seem to find anything on that now.  Not seeing pics on eBird of this look either.  I think everything else says RBGU on it, and not sure it is really any hybrid with Laughing or Franklin, as the wings don't really look darker.  Maybe an offspring of the Chicago Laughing x Ring-billed?

691a6228-12-13-14_orig.jpg

691a6238-12-13-14_orig.jpg

691a6234-12-13-14_orig.jpg

12 minutes ago, Hasan said:

RBGU. Known RBGUxLAGU hybrids are much more striking, with wonky bill and leg colors.

Yep, it didn’t match the Chicago hybrid that Amar has on his page, but wondered if maybe a backcross from that bird?  Only about 120 miles distance from Chicago.  Unless you are saying RBGU can show hoods?

2 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Yep, it didn’t match the Chicago hybrid that Amar has on his page, but wondered if maybe a backcross from that bird?  Only about 120 miles distance from Chicago.  Unless you are saying RBGU can show hoods?

Maybe it’s a ring billed like normal, but the head streaking/spotting happened to make a weird pattern?

• Like 1