Whatbird Community

Which Sparrow - Swamp, Lincoln or Song?

New birder - need help to see if I'm able to get a positive ID on this sparrow! Options I'm seeing are Swamp, Lincoln or Song. Understand positive ID might not be possible since I don't have the belly in the photo.

When: Today, Jan. 15 at around noon.

Where: Marine Park Salt Nature Center, Brooklyn NY in the reeds jumping around between two hollows near the water (I'd almost say it had a little burrow in the ground or was picking at something, it was hard to get a good look).

What: These pictures are the best shot I got of them (there are more blurry ones.) I'm new to this so I didn't get a good enough look to retain the field markings. There were no other sparrows around it as best I could see, if that's helpful.

That's it! First time on this site so let me know if there's anything I'm missing, and thanks for any help!

DSC02645-2.jpg

DSC02644.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

Edited by nathannlynch
Photos not working first time for some reason
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nathannlynch said:

Awesome, thanks so much (and that was quick!) What's the giveaway for you - the pattern on the back?

Pattern and color.  Those three sparrows have different browns and grays.  Lincoln's have buff mustachial stripes and cleaner back patterns.  Swamps have more orangey brown wings and lack the thick dark malar stripes that Songs have.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Pattern and color.  Those three sparrows have different browns and grays.  Lincoln's have buff mustachial stripes and cleaner back patterns.  Swamps have more orangey brown wings and lack the thick dark malar stripes that Songs have.

Well this is awesome. Thanks so much for your help! And I'm definitely going to use this site again the next time I'm staring at the back of a sparrow wondering what I'm missing haha. Thanks again!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, nathannlynch said:

Well this is awesome. Thanks so much for your help! And I'm definitely going to use this site again the next time I'm staring at the back of a sparrow wondering what I'm missing haha. Thanks again!

You're welcome!  Ask away!  There are so many awesome members here that are willing to help out.

• Like 2

Welcome to Whatbird @nathannlynch

It this is a very unsafe place for a new birder, I came here a new birder myself, and they turned me into a birding monster, I have spent the last three years having to spend every spare second doing something bird related. Seriously though, there are some great birders here, and we would be glad to help you out all we can! 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/id

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, nathannlynch said:

Welcome! As others have mentioned, we have a ton of incredible people on here!