Whatbird Community

Need help id bird

I live in Southern Rhode Island on the Connecticut border. There was a bird on my suet feeder. It was large(bigger than the suet cage), it's beak was long and straight, it's back and chest was black with thick horizontal white stripes. It's shape was blocky. My dogs ran by and it stayed for another 10 seconds, so it was not easily startled. Wish I had a picture. I have been scouring pictures and haven't found anything coming even close to resembling this beautiful bird. We had high winds so not sure if it is off-course and not from this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

@BethG, welcome to Whatbird! 

4 hours ago, BethG said:

It was large(bigger than the suet cage),

@chipperatland @Kevin, may I assume you're using this to suggest Hairy Woodpecker over Downy Woodpecker?

@BethG, on the off chance your bird isn't something already suggested, try this page of woodpeckers and keep clicking the 'See more birds +' link.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/search/?q=woodpeckers

Edited by Charlie Spencer

15 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@BethG, welcome to Whatbird! 

@chipperatland @Kevin, may I assume you're using this to suggest Hairy Woodpecker over Downy Woodpecker?

@BethG, on the off chance your bird isn't something already suggested, try this page of woodpeckers and keep clicking the 'See more birds +' link.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/search/?q=woodpeckers

Yep

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Everyone! I clicked on the link but my bird wasn't among them. It was as big as the red-bellied woodpecker, 14-16 inches long but it's head was all black and both rhe chest and back were black with the white banding. 

35 minutes ago, BethG said:

I checked out the link to the immature Red-headed Woodpecker.  Unfortunately it doesn't match up. I so appreciate everyone helping me!

Now that you've looked at a bunch of woodpeckers, do they seem like the right KIND of bird? Was your bird's bill similar in shape (maybe longer or shorter but long, straight, pointed, sturdy)? What doesn't fit for the species that have been suggested?

Another thing: it's very hard to judge the size of birds in the field. The feeder for comparison helps but we've all been fooled!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1