Whatbird Community

Yup, more juncos

Someday, I'll find a really obvious male Oregon Junco or something, until then I'll have to content myself with these lightly hooded headaches. Had these two in my yard today, the first has a light bib, but man those flanks and it's back are bright. Another weird Slate-colored? Thanks in advance!2400?__hstc=264660688.d21f791bda4f4b33f2

2400?__hstc=264660688.d21f791bda4f4b33f2

2400?_gl=1*w4krzs*_ga*MTA3MzYwODY0MC4xNT

And a male intermediate, seemed to have a darker hood/bib with lighter sides and a brown back...I'm obviously not sure though...

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 1

I might start avoiding junco ssp., unless that hood is completely solid all the way around.  These young ones are too messy.  The male doesn’t look like a lot of contrast between hood and flanks.  I wonder if these Cassiar are pushing East, but then getting diluted in with the Slate-colored population.  Seems like more “tweeners” are showing up.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

I might start avoiding junco ssp., unless that hood is completely solid all the way around.  These young ones are too messy.  The male doesn’t look like a lot of contrast between hood and flanks.  I wonder if these Cassiar are pushing East, but then getting diluted in with the Slate-colored population.  Seems like more “tweeners” are showing up.  

Yeah, that’s what I told myself, but then I keep getting distracted by these messy ones. In my whole 2.4 years of birding experience, I’ve never seen so many hooded juncos in one season. Well, to the slash they go. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Yeah, that’s what I told myself, but then I keep getting distracted by these messy ones. In my whole 2.4 years of birding experience, I’ve never seen so many hooded juncos in one season. Well, to the slash they go. 

In my whole 1.4 years of birding experience, I’ve never seen a non hooded junco

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

In my whole 1.4 years of birding experience, I’ve never seen a non hooded junco

Your several hundred Slate-coloreds (mixed males/females adults/immatures) should arrive in 4 to 5 business days. I hope that in return my one (1) Adult Oregon Junco will have a speedy shipment.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

Collaboration to start a new California population of slate-colored juncos? I’m down. Gotta mix up those junco genetics a little bit more.

They are fairly common in parts of the state, not rare here, but very uncommon. I don’t think they’re flagged anywhere in the state, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

They are fairly common in parts of the state, not rare here, but very uncommon. I don’t think they’re flagged anywhere in the state, though. 

Yeah, looked on eBird and I guess there aren’t many places where they would be rare. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Yeah, looked on eBird and I guess there aren’t many places where they would be rare. 

I would say they're pretty rare in a lot of California. I rarely see more than 1 or 2 a winter. It seems like a pretty good year for them, I even have one wintering in my yard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

They're rare here in northern New Mexico, but with three subspecies and the odd Cassiar, we probably don't need many Slate-colored.  (On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a White-winged.)