Whatbird Community

Hi Miss Marge,

I've been studying gulls and trying to learn the various nuances in an attempt to better identify them when I'm out and about. I find it helpful to know when I do question a particular species why they are not what I think they are. To this end, I've posted the below image to share why this is not a LBBG. I did not mention it, but the bill is a bit heavy. Hope this helps. :-)

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.30.52 AM.png

17 minutes ago, Trish said:

Hi Miss Marge,

I've been studying gulls and trying to learn the various nuances in an attempt to better identify them when I'm out and about. I find it helpful to know when I do question a particular species why they are not what I think they are. To this end, I've posted the below image to share why this is not a LBBG. I did not mention it, but the bill is a bit heavy. Hope this helps. 🙂

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.30.52 AM.png

Respectfully, I disagree with these. Wing position is highly dependent on posture. There's no difference between species except if you want to claim a difference in primary projection, wing length, etc. Young LBBG can have pinkish legs.

Bill size is useful here, however, as well as notice the dark head, brown color, and lack of contrasty checkering on the scaps/coverts.

Overall, however, LBBG are just much colder, a contrasty black and white.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Wing position is highly dependent on posture.

This, and birds often use wing position to signal their attitudes.  For example, mockingbirds defending a territory (and aren't they always?) will hold their wings rolled slightly forward at the shoulder, slightly away from the body, with wings pointed down.  At rest, the wings will be along the back with the tips close to the tail.  When cold, they'll fluff the side feathers up over the coverts as much as possible.  Other species will do many of these behaviors, along with other wing positions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hasan said:

Respectfully, I disagree with these. Wing position is highly dependent on posture. There's no difference between species except if you want to claim a difference in primary projection, wing length, etc. Young LBBG can have pinkish legs.

Bill size is useful here, however, as well as notice the dark head, brown color, and lack of contrasty checkering on the scaps/coverts.

Overall, however, LBBG are just much colder, a contrasty black and white.

This.

• Like 2