Whatbird Community

Sprague's Pipit? - Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR, Cat Spring, TX - 1/16/22

I have poor video of the bird attached, which was cautiously walking around a grass field, never bobbing it's tail, and moving almost robotically, in that the bird took somewhat jerky movements along its course.  Feel pretty good about it, just want to be certain as it's a lifer on the line.

Thanks!

DSCN4399.MP4_snapshot_00.40.209_01.JPG

DSCN4399.MP4_snapshot_00.41.250_01.JPG

DSCN4399.MP4_snapshot_00.43.250_01.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Yeah, looks good for Sprague’s. You’re lucky, they rarely let you get that close to them. 

Thanks Connor!  Honestly though, this bird was probably 75 yards out (125x optical zoom goes a long way when the sun is out and shining well).  Pics are super zoomed and cropped as presented.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Thanks Connor!  Honestly though, this bird was probably 75 yards out (125x optical zoom goes a long way when the sun is out and shining well).  Pics are super zoomed and cropped as presented.

I agree. Congrats! Self found?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

I agree. Congrats! Self found?

I think I should say no, because a couple of them had been reported out there in the week prior without any specific / useful info towards 'chasing' them (I was chasing Short-eared Owls that day to be honest though).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

I think I should say no, because a couple of them had been reported out there in the week prior without any specific / useful info towards 'chasing' them (I was chasing Short-eared Owls that day to be honest though).

Did you find the owls?

• Like 1

Just now, Ed hogg said:

Did you find the owls?

No, but I had a really pleasant couple of hours leading into sunset in the middle of gently rolling grasslands way out in the country side on a beautiful day, so hard to complain (plus this lifer, which I didn't even realize I had until post-review of media, oops, lol).

• Like 3

Attwater is a great place to find Sprague's. I've noticed they allow close approach more there than other places I see them in Texas. The best way to find them elsewhere is to walk wide open fields and flush them. They'll fly really high up in the air making alarm calls that resemble a robin and then they dive to the ground in one dramatic swoop. Once you memorize that call and flight pattern they're really easy to find in the proper habitat (and at that point access to habitat becomes the issue).

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

You’re lucky, they rarely let you get that close to them. 

Same with Americans! I can’t get close enough for a good shot, even though they’re very common here in winter. This is the best I have, and it’s heavily cropped. 
2400?__hstc=264660688.483524caaec3a292ea

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 3