Whatbird Community

Hummingbird sp? - Cuero, DeWitt Co, TX - 1/19/22

So there's a secondary hummingbird that I only barely catch glimpses of, due in part to the fairly territorial nature of the resident Broad-tailed Hummingbird whose been hanging around since November of last year.  Today was the first day I caught it sneaking on to the feeder, right around dusk, under the radar of the Broad-tailed who was standing guard about 30 feet away up in an Anaqua tree on the opposite side of the feeder.  I realize the attached are far from great photos, but I was wondering if we could narrow it down at all from them?  Eyeball notes (from slow-mo video review of the same video where these shots are extracted from): no rufous visible on top side of bird at all.  limited buffy wash on sides.  Limited rufous on tail feathers.  Very quite bird, maybe the quietest little kissing-type sounds emanating from the bird, but never heard any good audio from it really (closest sound match to my ear was the Anna call, but I know that can't be right because of range and presence of limited buffy wash on sides).  Possibly another immature male / female Broad-tailed here?

Significant cold front pushing through tonight, so thought i would post what I had in case it didn't show up again.

Some of the attached have been slightly lightened, but that's it.

Thanks!

DSCN4451.MP4_snapshot_00.14.625_01.JPG

DSCN4451.MP4_snapshot_00.18.625_01.JPG

DSCN4451.MP4_snapshot_00.36.750_01.JPG

DSCN4450.MP4_snapshot_00.07.333_01.JPG

DSCN4450.MP4_snapshot_01.42.667_01.JPG

DSCN4450.MP4_snapshot_01.49.334_01.JPG

DSCN4450.MP4_snapshot_02.43.041_01.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Possibly another immature male / female Broad-tailed here?

That's what I would say, though definitely wait for someone with more experience with Selasphorus hummingbirds than me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1