Whatbird Community

2 hours ago, meghann said:

Yep, a Palm Warbler! (Western Palm, to be exact.)

Yep Palm. 😂I am always hoping I get a chance to respond sooner. At this point I feel like I am just reiterating what has already been established and is kind of pointless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

Yep Palm. 😂I am always hoping I get a chance to respond sooner. At this point I feel like I am just reiterating what has already been established and is kind of pointless.

One thing sometimes, especially if you know the poster is a newer birder, is maybe point out field marks that may not have been talked about yet. Like, here you could talk about Palm Warblers pumping their tails, or the yellow on both the undertail and rump, etc.

Also, just gotta be quicker! 😜

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, meghann said:

One thing sometimes, especially if you know the poster is a newer birder, is maybe point out field marks that may not have been talked about yet. Like, here you could talk about Palm Warblers pumping their tails, or the yellow on both the undertail and rump, etc.

Also, just gotta be quicker! 😜

Okay I can try to do that but I myself am not exactly the biggest expert. and yeah focus on speed😁 I am still new to here so I don't exactly know where everyone's standing is. I will probably be better at identifying other's photos in the warmer months. I have studied passerines more then anything else especailly warblers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanager 101 said:

Okay I can try to do that but I myself am not exactly the biggest expert. and yeah focus on speed😁 I am still new to here so I don't exactly know where everyone's standing is. I will probably be better at identifying other's photos in the warmer months. I have studied passerines more then anything else especailly warblers

I'm not the biggest expert either, but I contribute when I can.  I think mentioning what in the photo led to an ID is always useful, as @meghannsaid, even if other people have already made the ID.

Some people like to be the first to answer, and sometimes even seem a little competitive about it 🙂, but that doesn't mean you have to join the competition if you don't feel like it or it's not convenient.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

That gives you time to practice! Also know, some of being first to comment is just plain luck. You'll see among even those of us who have been around awhile will get sniped. It happens often, actually.

Glad to have you on the forums!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, meghann said:

That gives you time to practice! Also know, some of being first to comment is just plain luck. You'll see among even those of us who have been around awhile will get sniped. It happens often, actually.

Glad to have you on the forums!

Hey thanks so glad to be here! Yeah I do love helping people indetify photos I just sometime feel by the time I actually do it it is not really helpful. I actually have a couple of photos I still need help on. I should put those on here now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

What some of us do to indicate we agree with an identification is to give the first correct ID a 'Like'.  I like this approach when someone posts a correctly ID'ed photo and is asking for confirmation.  'Liking' helps somewhat with building the poster's status, esp. if it's a new member. 

'Liking' also keeps a solidly identified topic from being pushed to the top of the list again.  We've had cases in the past where a member has added a comment simply to say 'I agree!' to literally dozens of threads, pushing any new questions to the second or even third page.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3