Whatbird Community

2022 Year Lists!

Kevin

I made a half-a** attempt today to look for the Iceland and Glaucous Gulls (1 of each) that have been reported quite recently in Washington DC. I didn't get out of my car (air temp 21F, windchill 0-10F), and there weren't too many gulls visible. At least I got out of the neighborhood for the first time in 2 or 3 days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

I made a half-a** attempt today to look for the Iceland and Glaucous Gulls (1 of each) that have been reported quite recently in Washington DC. I didn't get out of my car (air temp 21F, windchill 0-10F), and there weren't too many gulls visible. At least I got out of the neighborhood for the first time in 2 or 3 days.

Yeah, I pulled one of those yesterday.  I hit a nearby hotspot for about 20 minutes, about a third of that in the car.  Covered only .15 miles.  3pm, 26F, 10F windchill.  Five species, six birds.  But I had to go out for gas and a few last-minute groceries anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yeah, I pulled one of those yesterday.  I hit a nearby hotspot for about 20 minutes, about a third of that in the car.  Covered only .15 miles.  3pm, 26F, 10F windchill.  Five species, six birds.  But I had to go out for gas and a few last-minute groceries anyway.

Brrrrr

I got gas on Wednesday, before the all-day rain on Thursday and the arrival of the deep chill on Friday.

Edited by Peromyscus

I gained the Tundra Swan yesterday, but I also lost one. I reviewed my rarities for the year and noticed I still had the Stilt Sandpiper marked. I had corrected my photo but forgot to remove the entry from the checklist, and no other birders positively identified it on the day I was there. Oh well, that means I can get excited about it the next time I (actually) see it. That leaves me at 368 for the year.

A few of those are escapees and thus not countable, however. Off-hand, I can think of these:

Swan Goose
Muscovy Duck
Indian Peafowl
African Collared-Dove

I'm going to keep the provisional ones like the Pin-tailed Whydah.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Snake Fingers said:

Maaaaybe???

Definitely!! I saw the Red-necked Grebe on the other side of my county that had been reported earlier this month but had not been reported for 2 weeks. Year bird #208. That's probably going to be it for me this year. This has been my best year birding close to home in quite a few years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Definitely!! I saw the Red-necked Grebe on the other side of my county that had been reported earlier this month but had not been reported for 2 weeks. Year bird #208. That's probably going to be it for me this year. This has been my best year birding close to home in quite a few years.

Yay!! 🎉

• Like 1