Whatbird Community

3 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Male Cooper's? (distinct horizontal line across the head, grey cheek and somewhat rounded tail).

When you say gray cheek is that the same as the pale nape? I guess I should say, is the gray patch that you called the cheek the nape? 

• Like 2

I'm told that 99% of accipiters on light poles are Cooper's.

I'd say the gray (not orangish as in female Coops and all Sharpies, if I remember correctly) cheek is under the eye and the nape is farther back, especially visible in the first and third pictures.  But I too have trouble with what people say about the napes of accipiters.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

When you say gray cheek is that the same as the pale nape? I guess I should say, is the gray patch that you called the cheek the nape? 

The nape is the back of the neck, same for people, so in Cooper's the nape should be a lighter colour(emphasizing the dark cap).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

No, it's different.  Gray cheeks mean it's an adult male Cooper's.  Adult female Cooper's and both adult male and female Sharp-shinneds have orange cheeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RobinHood said:

The nape is the back of the neck, same for people, so in Cooper's the nape should be a lighter colour(emphasizing the dark cap).

Thanks. I can’t tell. Doesn’t this bird’s nape look dark? 

• Like 1