Whatbird Community

Feather ID Please

Hello.  My 7 yo daughter found this feather in our yard in Southwest Ohio.  I have tried multiple Feather ID sites and google searches. If anyone would be kind enough to identify, she would really like to know. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.51.52 PM.png

Not a Screech. They wouldn't have that much black. I'm having trouble finding anything with that pattern. Closest I've come was a certain variety of chicken with that same pattern on a body feather, so some sort of game bird seems like a good guess. Most of the raptor feathers are barred, not whatever you call that pattern.

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. The picture is zoomed in.  Below is the original. We do have woods around us so most of the suggestions are possible. I’ll see if I can get a ruler next to it but have to get it from my daughter.

2A005FF0-158A-4E56-8BEA-85E050802EB7.jpeg

Interesting.  OK.  I'll go with that.  We don't have any chickens super close, but I suppose the wind could have done that.  Again, I really appreciate everyone helping out.  Thank you very much.

Edited by Steve90