Whatbird Community

Birding at The Dump

floraphile

Wow!  My first birding excursion to a landfill today and I was completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of birds--both individuals and species.   I will have to mentally prepare myself next time I go...and I will definitely take the truck rather than my Fusion. 😄  Also, the booth attendant was welcoming and knowledgeable about what birds had been seen recently.   

Next stop--the sewage lagoons.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, floraphile said:

Wow!  My first birding excursion to a landfill today and I was completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of birds--both individuals and species.   I will have to mentally prepare myself next time I go...and I will definitely take the truck rather than my Fusion. 😄  Also, the booth attendant was welcoming and knowledgeable about what birds had been seen recently.   

You haven't been fully initiated into birding until you've birded the sewage lagoons 😛

• Haha 8

19 hours ago, floraphile said:

I saw your checklist. Four bald eagles in a landfill??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

I saw your checklist. Four bald eagles in a landfill??

Like I said--I was overwhelmed.  I could not even begin to count.  I could have just listed species and just put an "X" by each.   Any tips on how to handle the counting in such a situation?  @IKLland @Birding Boy?

Edited by floraphile

41 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Like I said--I was overwhelmed.  I could not even begin to count.  I could have just listed species and just put an "X" by each.   Any tips on how to handle the counting in such a situation?  @IKLland @Birding Boy?

I wouldn’t stress over exact numbers if I were you; just put down some number that you think is close enough if there are huge numbers of birds. Far more helpful to eBird than an X.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

As @IKLlandsaid, any estimate is better than X. I myself only use X in extreme situations (like last weekend when I had 5 minutes to scan a massive backlit flock of waterfowl and try to pull as many species as I could). 

• Like 4