On 12/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, lonestranger said:

BRDL 681
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸͺΆπŸ₯š
πŸͺΆπŸ¦πŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸ₯šπŸ¦
🐦🐦🐦🐦

My method for solving these puzzles usually starts with a few guesses until I start getting a letter or two and then I fine tune my guesses accordingly. Sometimes I'll be able to work it out in my head but more often than not, I need some help. I try to avoid the banding code lists until I'm really stumped, preferring to use my digital field guide first. The digital field guide lists the birds with thumbnail images on the opening screen, so when the time comes for help I'll open the guide and start scrolling through looking for bird names that I can use to create banding codes thatΒ mightΒ fit the letters I have to work with. Since many of the letters have been eliminated by this time, I can skip past a lot birds starting with those letters to speed things up. Obviously if I get the first letter right, well, the search is limited to birds starting with that letter. If I don't get that first letter right though, like yesterday, I work my way through the list alphabetically, sometimes using up wrong guesses that fit but don't work before I find the right one. In the end I got lucky yesterday so all this rambling is just my way of saying, I really wish I had of worked through the alphabetical list backwards yesterday.Β 

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1

BRDL 682

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆ
πŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦🐦

I have photographed this bird before.

I don't even consult my field guide because it's often not an ABA area bird. Lately, I've been punching in the same few codes at the start (not always in the same order), only changing it up when I see yellows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoroark said:

I've been punching in the same few codes at the start

My first few guesses are intended toΒ elimitate as many groups of birds as possible. While I do switch it up, I often open with Purple Finch, PUFI. If I don't get any letters, I can remove a whole bunch of birds from the list of possibilities. If there's noΒ P then there's not likely any petrols, plovers, sparrows, etc. If there's noΒ UΒ then there's not likely to be any vultures, hummingbirds, orΒ gulls. Without aΒ F,Β theΒ flycatchers andΒ finches are ruled out. The lack of anΒ IΒ eliminates kingbirds, vireos, and so on. Doesn't usually make a difference in the end, but that's how I approach it in the beginning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

My first few guesses are intended toΒ elimitate as many groups of birds as possible.

That's a good process. There are some spoilers here, so rather than highlight half this post in white, I'll just quote it.

I have four codes I usually start with, and I go through them until I have enough yellows, or especially greens in weird places, to confidently start guessing.

Β 

Β 

Β 

RWBL
PEFA
CONI
THGU

If I change RWBL to RSBL, I can additionally get KWQD as a fifth code without duplicating any letters:

RSBL
PEFA
CONI
THGU
KWQD

This leaves six letters I haven't used after five guesses: JMVXYZ. Ideally, I'd prefer getting either M or Y in before using the Q. V is fairly common as well, but typically with a vowel.

Unlike Wordle, where you can guess up to 25 out of 26 letters before you must make a final guess, with BRDL you can only guess 20 letters, and many of the "words" don't have any vowels or follow any language rules like English. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to take all the codes and figure out which letters are most common; I doubt it'll be anywhere close to ETAOIN SHRDLU. Then you could make an ideal order of codes to work through.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to take all the codes and figure out which letters are most common

I think it was mentioned long ago that SORA was one of the codes that used the most common letters, I think that was the reference at the time. πŸ€”

• Like 1

Using the list of 2,326 codes here, I whipped up some Python to tally up the letters. Here are the results.

A - 873
B - 667
R - 639
S - 634
O - 588
W - 582
C - 581
T - 533
H - 453
E - 450
P - 448
L - 410
G - 404
U - 402
I - 339
F - 250
M - 245
N - 239
Y - 141
D - 108
K - 96
V - 93
J - 72
Q - 35
Z - 16
X - 4

So, ideally you'd want five codes that use every letter except JKQVXZ, with each code sorted by using as many letters towards the top of the list as possible. BARS (Barn Swallow) looks like the winner for best starting code if you aren't taking the other guesses or letter positions into account.

Code:

codes = "ABDUABFLABTOACCAACFLACGOACHH..."

codecount = {}
for i in codes:
    if i in codecount:
        codecount[i] += 1
    else:
        codecount[i] = 1

for k, v in sorted(codecount.items(), key=lambda x: x[1], reverse=True):
    print(k + ' - ' + str(v))
Edited by Zoroark

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I think it was mentioned long ago that SORA was one of the codes that used the most common letters, I think that was the reference at the time. πŸ€”

I read that Sora has the four most commonly used letters in North American banding codes. So it is normally my first guess.

Today:

BRDL 682
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ¦
🐦πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦🐦

I have seen this bird, in its normal range.

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 2

BRDL 683

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ¦
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸͺΆπŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦🐦

I have photographed this bird.

• Like 1

BRDL 684

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆ
🐦🐦🐦πŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦πŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦🐦

This bird is Β»in my signatureΒ«.

BRDL 685

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
🐦🐦🐦🐦

I have seen but not photographed this bird.

BRDL 686

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆ
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ¦
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ¦
🐦🐦🐦🐦

I would like to see this bird.