Whatbird Community

BRDL

Avery

23 minutes ago, neilpa said:

My problem is remembering all the potential birds. Once you know the rules for generating the codes (assuming there isn't a collision) it's a straightforward translation of bird name to code.

same! I'm spending time on this flipping through the Sibley app trying to figure out what it could be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, neilpa said:

My problem is remembering all the potential birds. Once you know the rules for generating the codes (assuming there isn't a collision) it's a straightforward translation of bird name to code.

Once I figure out a letter or two, I use my iBird app to scan a list of possible birds starting with those letters. Of course there's always a chance that the one or two letters I have guessed are trailing letters and not leading letters, but it shows me possibilities I never would have even thought of and can lead to ideas for other possibilities.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I'm wondering if people would like a BRDL (spoilers!) thread to discuss process on the day's quiz?

One issue with a spoiler thread is anyone using the "Next unread topic" link to simply catch up (as I do) will end up on that thread inadvertently.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Once I figure out a letter or two, I use my iBird app to scan a list of possible birds starting with those letters. Of course there's always a chance that the one or two letters I have guessed are trailing letters and not leading letters, but it shows me possibilities I never would have even thought of and can lead to ideas for other possibilities.

I’ve done something similar with the eBird app, but try hard not too and figure it out without help. I did also see this little pop up after typing in an invalid banding code

AEFF00A3-EFA6-49B0-8509-5B67EAE6240A.jpeg.dcacb0b175ec57cd00bac86f160795d0.jpeg

8 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I'm wondering if people would like a BRDL (spoilers!) thread to discuss process on the day's quiz?

I like it. Screenshots could show the solved puzzles with the letters in place and the different ways people got, or didn't get the solution.Β 

@neilpaΒ just replied and makes a valid point, next unread topic would be a real spoiler for those not wanting a spoiler.

Hmmm....Perhaps another option is a "Yesterday's BRDL" thread. Screenshots from today could be posted and discussed tomorrow. That should eliminate any chance of spoilers spoiling things with the Next Read Topic.Β 

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember what it was the other day, but I was randomly guessing letters, and it let me enter a code that I can't find as a legitimate banding code anywhere.

Today's was close, but I got there!

BRDL 9

πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆ

πŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯š

πŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯š

πŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆ

πŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸͺΆ

🐦🐦🐦🐦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:
BRDL 7
πŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸͺΆπŸ¦
🐦🐦🐦🐦
Β 
BRDL 9
πŸ₯šπŸ¦πŸ₯šπŸͺΆ
🐦🐦🐦🐦

Wow, that's fast!

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

CNY

?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, meghann said:

but I do Wordle every day, because games like that are right up my alley!

'Hello wordl' will probably be right up your alley then. If you're not familiar with it, it's like Wordle with extras. You can play continuously, and choose the length of your words from 4-11 letters. If anyone is hooked on Wordle, this one is sure to fuel that addiction for a while. 😁

P.S. Setting it to 4 letters is also a good way to practice the strategy aspect of the game and apply it to the 4 letter bird codes in BRDL.

Edited by lonestranger
After thought

3 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

'Hello wordl' will probably be right up your alley then. If you're not familiar with it, it's like Wordle with extras. You can play continuously, and choose the length of your words for 4-11 letters. If anyone is hooked on Wordle, this one is sure to fuel that addiction for a while. 😁

The good thing about Wordle is it's self limiting. One a day, so can't get addicted and play too long. We'll see what happens now that the NYT bought it, though. If it goes behind a pay wall, I'll stop playing.

I have messed around with Absurdle, which is really trippy, but if you try it, make sure you read all about it first. It's not quite the same thing as Wordle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1