Whatbird Community

BRDL

Avery

Message added by Kevin,

Link to BRDL: https://brdl.alex.gd

Screenshot_20220203-092443_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2a69022a03df4c8e1adfa70a8f205cfb.jpg

I've started taking screenshots after each game so I can remember how I achieved the solution and discuss it the next day. After looking at my results from yesterday, I probably shouldn't have started with Rose-breasted Grosbeak because it uses the letter R twice, and the same applies for Mallard with the double L. Once I had the M from Common Merganser and the A from Mallard, I switched them around and made a guess that it was an American something or other. That's when I referred to iBird and after eliminating a few birds because of the letters I had and didn't have, I took a wild guess on American Dipper and got lucky.  I've found that I need to refer to a list of birds for the simple reason that while I might know of most of the ABA birds, there's no way I would even think of some of the possibilities without a list, especially for birds from other parts of the continent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I haven't looked at this because I have no clue how to start.

Go to the link and type in a banding code (preferably one with common letters that don't repeat) and hit enter. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My approach is to have a couple of initial guesses that rule out whole swaths of species by including letters that are quite commonly used. Helps narrow it down quite sharply. I won't share screenshots here as it would make my summaries into spoilers because I use the same approach but if you're interested I can share the approach with you privately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meghann said:

Go to the link and type in a banding code (preferably one with common letters that don't repeat) and hit enter. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

No, I mean I have no clue what code to start with.  It appears to be just random selection.  I don't do well with that.  

@PaulK, I replied before I saw your post.  I'm not that concerned, I do plenty of other logic puzzles.  I mostly need to 'Unwatch' this particular forum so I'll quit getting notices that it was updated.  Most traffic here lately is either this topic or Rare Bird Alerts.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

No, I mean I have no clue what code to start with.  It appears to be just random selection.  I don't do well with that.  

Think about what letters you see often in banding codes, and pick one made up of those. I picked one like that, and every day I start with  that same one.

2 minutes ago, meghann said:

Think about what letters you see often in banding codes, and pick one made up of those. I picked one like that, and every day I start with  that same one.

So start with AMCO (AMerican or COmmon) every time (and hope it's an American Coot)?

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@meghannand @PaulK, never mind.  I entered AMCO, got a green A, and can't come up with an 'A' code.  I can come up with codes when I want to abbreviate a bird's full name.  Apparently I can't retrieve them strictly as codes with no bird name to serve as a prompt.

Don't worry about it; y'all have fun.

It’s totally fine to use a Bird Guide! Removing that part is just an extra challenge. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@meghannand @PaulK, never mind.  I entered AMCO, got a green A, and can't come up with an 'A' code.  I can come up with codes when I want to abbreviate a bird's full name.  Apparently I can't retrieve them strictly as codes with no bird name to serve as a prompt.

Don't worry about it; y'all have fun.

I simply start by picking any bird and then entering the code to see if anything matches or comes close. If I figure out the first letter, like you did with your AMCO guess, then I guess a bird that starts with that letter. If a letter is in the wrong spot, I usually use that letter as the starting letter of the next bird I guess. If I don't get lucky on the first few guesses, I have still successfully eliminated letters and hopefully narrowed things down to where there's less and less remaining possibilities. I don't think in birding code while I am trying to solve the puzzle, I think about the bird's real name and then check to see if the code would fit. I'll admit that a lot of it comes down to a lucky guess or two to point you in the right direction but don't get discouraged if your lucky guess doesn't come in the first few guesses.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I simply start by picking any bird and then entering the code to see if anything matches or comes close. If I figure out the first letter, like you did with your AMCO guess, then I guess a bird that starts with that letter. If a letter is in the wrong spot, I usually use that letter as the starting letter of the next bird I guess. If I don't get lucky on the first few guesses, I have still successfully eliminated letters and hopefully narrowed things down to where there's less and less remaining possibilities. I don't think in birding code while I am trying to solve the puzzle, I think about the bird's real name and then check to see if the code would fit. I'll admit that a lot of it comes down to a lucky guess or two to point you in the right direction but don't get discouraged if your lucky guess doesn't come in the first few guesses.

I like to start with one that has some of the more common letters. 

I start with YRWA because there’s a lot of common letters that if I get it wrong or right, I can really narrow down my options. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I guess a bird that starts with that letter

It's the guessing part that stops me in my tracks, whether it's coming up with codes or actual names.  I can process the logic easily enough.  Having to make multiple guesses wouldn't discourage me if there was something on the line, but there isn't.  When I did come up with something, guessing randomly took the fun out of it for me.  I used a list of codes but then I felt like I was doing a word search, another puzzle that doesn't entertain me.

Different strokes.  I didn't do well with the original Mastermind, or with Myst either, for basically the same reasons.  :classic_blink:  

• Like 2