Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Spring Migration 2022


Recommended Posts

This afternoon, Mississippi Kite at the place where they nested last year (the second known state nesting). This morning, FOY Blackpoll Warbler (finally).

Yesterday afternoon, a Red-necked Phalarope discovered that morning, my first in 6 years. Also yesterday afternoon, a calling Least Bittern at a different location.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had my lifer Black-necked Stilt, and state birds White-rumped Sandpiper and Mississippi Kite! There was a kettle of 16 of them! The only other ones I have seen were the pair in New Hampshire from like 4 years ago!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still racking up FOY birds this past week, 5 of them today.  

Lifer - Connecticut Warbler (also flagged rare)

Rare - Clay-colored Sparrow, Black-bellied Plover, White-rumped Sandpiper

Other FOY - Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Common Nighthawk, Cliff Swallow, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Bank Swallow.  

Dipped on Grasshopper Sparrow this morning.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Still racking up FOY birds this past week, 5 of them today.  

Lifer - Connecticut Warbler (also flagged rare)

Rare - Clay-colored Sparrow, Black-bellied Plover, White-rumped Sandpiper

Other FOY - Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Common Nighthawk, Cliff Swallow, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Bank Swallow.  

Dipped on Grasshopper Sparrow this morning.  

And turned out there was a Franklin's Gull in the same spot as Black-bellied Plover, and about a 1/2 mile from the White-rumped Sandpiper spot.  These are 3 of the rarest birds we can get in this area, and got them all within a couple of minutes.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This morning I found out that 2 Whimbrels had been reported on the other side of my county. I was able to see them not even 2 hours after learning about them. They were there into the afternoon after I left. A new county bird for me, and a species I haven't seen for at least 8 years. Also there were Semipalmated Plover, Semipalmated Sandpiper, and Least Sandpiper. On the way home, two Wild Turkeys were dueling in the middle of the paved road going through a forested area.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The past week has felt more like Novembird around here with all the rarities.  1st County record of Red-necked Phalarope popped in my scope this afternoon.  Long-time coming as there were only us and 1 other neighboring county, surrounding ours, without a record of one.  

I have seen more rarities (what I classify as Codes 4 and 5) so far this year, than my Big Year last year.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still haven't really seen any migrant warblers, only the regular breeders showing up. I'm disappointed, especially considering how much better fall migration was. I think I've heard spring migration is better in the central and pacific flyways and fall is better in the atlantic flyway?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I still haven't really seen any migrant warblers, only the regular breeders showing up. I'm disappointed, especially considering how much better fall migration was. I think I've heard spring migration is better in the central and pacific flyways and fall is better in the atlantic flyway?

While spring might have slightly more passerine migrants, there are much more shorebirds in fall, as well as many more eastern vagrants in fall here out west.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

While spring might have slightly more passerine migrants, there are much more shorebirds in fall, as well as many more eastern vagrants in fall here out west.

Same here. There’s more pacific coast migrants here in spring, but all of the eastern warblers seem to show up in fall. Really excited for fall migration to start! I could get a ton of lifer shorebirds!

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...