Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lutya

Possible to confirm Sage Sparrow?

I agree. American Pipits come in a few different subspecies I believe but I haven't really paid attention to that. Note that Sage Sparrows have short stubby sparrow beaks as well as an overall rounder, stubbier shape - whereas this Pipit has a long, strutting shape and a long thin beak. Also, the breast markings are extensive and across the chest unlike Sage Sparrow. 

53 minutes ago, Melierax said:

I agree. American Pipits come in a few different subspecies I believe but I haven't really paid attention to that. Note that Sage Sparrows have short stubby sparrow beaks as well as an overall rounder, stubbier shape - whereas this Pipit has a long, strutting shape and a long thin beak. Also, the breast markings are extensive and across the chest unlike Sage Sparrow. 

I agree with American Pipit for those reasons.  However, though four subspecies are recognized (one breeding in Siberia, not North America), it seems that in winter plumage individual variation is greater than variation between subspecies, according to BNA online.

By the way, Sage Sparrow has been split into Bell's Sparrow (mostly West Coast) and Sagebrush Sparrow (the rest of the range).  At eBird, there are records of both around Las Vegas, but neither seems likely near Charleston Mountain.

Just wanted to correct the location. This was actually taken at the Spring Mountain Ranch State Park in Red Rock Canyon. I was at both locations that day and got confused. I'm assuming it doesn't change the ID but just wanted the info to be correct. Also, there has not been a Pipit seen here since April 2018, while there has been Sagebrush Sparrows seen this month.

Edited by Lutya