Whatbird Community

Black Vulture or Turkey Vulture?

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Field observation and noticing details is key when you don't have a good photo (or a good camera..).

6 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I'm leaning toward black vulture, but I wouldn't confirm anything from this photo. What color was the head?

If I saw the head colors clearly, I wouldn't have to ask. 🙂

This was a random shot I took with my iPhone.  It was at the edge of the zoom, the lighting was crappy, and the lens was dirty.  Here are the rest of the crappy pics, if they help with the ID.  From the shape and pose, I instinctively thought it was a Black Vulture:

AtR8MhS.jpg

PcvCtZF.jpg

uRBwSyZ.jpg

The original pic was one of these cropped and zoomed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dragon49 said:

From the shape and pose, I instinctively thought it was a Black Vulture:

Go with your gut! Field impression is something that is really hard, if not impossible to capture in a photo, and can be critical to an ID. If you recognized something, trust it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Avery said:

Go with your gut! Field impression is something that is really hard, if not impossible to capture in a photo, and can be critical to an ID. If you recognized something, trust it!

Best reply of the thread!  As I'm looking at the bad pictures in their original states and with various zoom levels, I'm trusting my original gut instinct more.  What's standing out to me now is the cobblestone like raised skin patterns on the neck.  The low-quality images don't clearly show this directly, but it influences the head shape enough to help make up my mind.  This is most apparent in the second of my pictures that I posted.  My field impression was based on this, but at the time, I was unable to explain my gut instinct.  It just felt like a Black Vulture.

Maybe I need to take my good camera with me wherever I go.  I do have a good neck strap.  

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, IKLland said:

IMO, every birder should take it ("the good camera") everywhere. 

I don't take mine everywhere.  Just to and from work, trips, and walks around parks / outdoor settings.  It doesn't go on shopping or dining excursions.

Good cameras go to heaven, but the binos go everywhere.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:54 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't take mine everywhere.  Just to and from work, trips, and walks around parks / outdoor settings.  It doesn't go on shopping or dining excursions.

Good cameras go to heaven, but the binos go everywhere.

If you meant to reference the song now in my head, awesome...if not well it is still in my head.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

It doesn't go on shopping or dining excursions

I have seen some really good birds running errands. A few examples Great-horned Owls, Cooper's Hawks and probably the most unusual Red Crossbills in a suburb of Denver.  Plus in Colorado (before retiring and hubby doing all the driving) I had places like retention ponds I would swing by while running errands and look for birds. Saw my first juvenile American Avocet doing this. Or I'd cut through a State Park running errands rather than using main roads...Just a couple of reasons to take the camera everywhere. You really never know what you what might see when.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaws13 said:

If you meant to reference the song now in my head, awesome...if not well it is still in my head.

Holy cow, somebody picked up on the Meat Loaf / Steinman reference!!!  :classic_smile: :classic_smile: :classic_smile: 

After I gave it a little thought, I decided 'Good cams go to havens, ...' flowed much better.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1