Whatbird Community

Hybrid Duck?

Good a guess as any.  The eBird pics of that mix looks like they still have white back by the tail, between the black and the grey flanks.  Don't see that on yours.  Most seem to favor the green bill of the Mallard.  A few have the bluish look to them.  

• Like 3

I believe that Duck has to have some American widgeon in it based on that bill and the pattern of green on the head (plus other plumage looks. I don't see any wood duck or mallard in the bill. I do see wood duck features in the color of the chest and definitely the eye ring. I believe that bit of speculum could come from a wood duck and the shape of the tail is very square like a wood duck. Also, the legs are wood duck colored.  I believe it has to be an American widgeon X Wood duck. I don't see any coloring on the duck that can't be explained by wood duck or widgeon genes, but, hey, I'm scheduled to have cataract surgery shortly.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, von Humboldt said:

I believe that Duck has to have some American widgeon in it based on that bill and the pattern of green on the head (plus other plumage looks. I don't see any wood duck or mallard in the bill. I do see wood duck features in the color of the chest and definitely the eye ring. I believe that bit of speculum could come from a wood duck and the shape of the tail is very square like a wood duck. Also, the legs are wood duck colored.  I believe it has to be an American widgeon X Wood duck. I don't see any coloring on the duck that can't be explained by wood duck or widgeon genes, but, hey, I'm scheduled to have cataract surgery shortly.

Interesting, I definitely got Wigeon vibes when I was viewing this in the field, especially the bill color. My first guesses were Wigeon x Gadwall or Wigeon x Mallard, having zero experience with either. One strike against is there are zero records on Macaulay for Wood Duck x American Wigeon.

Here's a couple more photos from different angles with more speculum and top-down. Not sure they add anything new.

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 1

That tail is really wigeony too, and the head on shot (second in the group of three) screams Wood Duck to me. This is utterly wild and unlikely to consider but that grey in the flank is really reminiscent of Eurasian Wigeon...

5 hours ago, PaulK said:

that grey in the flank is really reminiscent of Eurasian Wigeon

I wondered if anyone was going to play the Eurasian card.

6 hours ago, neilpa said:

Here's a couple more photos from different angles with more speculum and top-down.

That sure looks like a Mallard speculum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I can't see this bird not having Wood Duck in it, and I think it has Mallard in it to. As to having Wigeon, I just don't really see it, but I don't know.

I agree. Everything I see on the bird can be attributed to either a Wood Duck, Mallard, or both. The bill color is the only thing throwing me for a loop, as the pattern on it looks fine fire Wood Duck

• Like 3