Whatbird Community

Would each of these be Tundra Swans?

1 hour ago, KnotLisa said:

I thought maybe, but Trumpeter is very rare in PA? And never recorded at this location in eBird?

Looking on eBird, they do appear to be quite infrequently reported, but there’s no doubt to the Id with the great photos you obtained. Nice find!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KnotLisa said:

I thought maybe, but Trumpeter is very rare in PA? And never recorded at this location in eBird?

you can play with the location and time frame on the map but they look common enough in PA... I narrowed this down to the last 11 years and when you zoom in, any red markers are recent.
https://ebird.org/map/truswa?neg=false&env.minX=-84.63594839432417&env.minY=38.64555890277084&env.maxX=-70.57344839432417&env.maxY=43.52738521705696&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=range&byr=2011&eyr=2022

as for the specific location you had them at, it may just not be a favorite spot. SE of where I am in Arkansas, in several places in AR, there are fairly good numbers of trumpeter swans in the winter...  Where I am... rare... 
Some years ago I found a family group of 7 birds... 2 adults and 5 immature at a local lake. I reported it to some fellow birders who reported it to others and then, a bunch of people went to look and it even found its way into the local newspaper(no mention of me, of course)
They're not rare in this state but this area... it's just not popular for them.
There are some small to big and I mean massive lakes in this area... but they're found futher south, often on smaller ponds near fields... grain fields.
There's always something that makes birds pick one spot over another, even if I can't see it with my own eyes.
In the summer, I know of several prairies where I never find grasshopper sparrows... I had one single location where I found them a few summers in a row... it was at the time a soon to be subdivision... just roads... some plumbing had been put in... so, strips of grasses with roads in-between... didn't look great but, some particular type of grassy plant had to be there that they liked as I just haven't found them anywhere else.  And of course now it's all houses that look to be 2 feet apart... kind of gross... and sad ? 
Anyway...
Report it to eBird and it may get reviewed and you'll have the reviewer give you another opinion on the birds and they'll appreciate the data, I imagine.
Even if it isn't a big deal for PA, it's exciting to be the first to report a species at a given location... ?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This group is extremely helpful!! Having so little experience with Swans (except for the local "pet" Mute Swans), it would have been hard for me to make that call (Trumpeter) without your help.

There have been a few Trumpeter in upstate (central) New York this year. They haven't normally been a "winter" bird, but their numbers are increasing in the East (many older Eastern Guides don't even list them). I was actually able to find all 3 species in a State Park yesterday (Geneva NY).

DSC_0564.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0817.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MWM said:

There have been a few Trumpeter in upstate (central) New York this year. They haven't normally been a "winter" bird, but their numbers are increasing in the East (many older Eastern Guides don't even list them). I was actually able to find all 3 species in a State Park yesterday (Geneva NY).

DSC_0564.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0817.JPG

Those look like Tundras ?

• Like 3