Whatbird Community

I wish we had a map with members' locations

Sometimes it would be nice to have a map with pins or markers showing the locations of participating members.  Strictly voluntary, of course, not a default.  It would be useful when we wanted to @ people to bring their attention to an ID request in their area, or when someone is planning a trip.

The capability isn't there in the site's software, so it would probably have to use another application entirely and be manually maintained.   Maybe limit it to those with a minimum number of posts or reputation points.

Just a random thought on a pre-sunrise Sunday.

• Like 5

Interesting idea! Maybe just put the pins in a general location. It would be easy enough in Google Maps, and I *think* there is a way to have it set to where it's not public, and only certain people can use it. (Like those actually participating.)

Either that, or just have a post listing everyone's location by state, although that's not nearly as fun.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I hadn't thought of that.

Well, a map would still be a cool thing, visually. (And in some of the bigger states, it would narrow it down, rather than having to sort through and look at a map yourself to figure out where each one is.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

make peoples location more generalized, such as town or county

Yeah, I didn't have exact street addresses in mind.  County would be perfect.

4 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I'll take a look at that.  Thanks.  This what I mean in my profile by 'appalling lack of knowledge regarding consumer computing and social media tools'.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

I think it's a good idea, while not giving away specific information, it will help people see who is in a general area for any number of reasons. I know that there are other birders in southern Ontario but I can never be sure if I remember which birders they are or where they previously said they lived. A map showing who is where would definitely help the memory challenged amongst us. 

For whoever decides to create such a map, feel free to include my location.

Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

Just be very careful not to share anyone's location without their permission!

⬆️    ⬆️    ⬆️    ⬆️    ⬆️    ⬆️

Count me in, Palo Pinto County Texas. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

Just be very careful not to share anyone's location without their permission! Some people may not want even their state and county or city made public, and mentioning it once in a thread isn't the same as sharing that info on a searchable list.

I'm only pulling info that people have public. Most of it is from ebird profiles that are linked in signatures.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, meghann said:

I'm only pulling info that people have public. Most of it is from ebird profiles that are linked in signatures.

I would encourage NOT mining information from other sites. If members have added their location to their profiles here you can see that on their profile page, so I would certainly consider that to be sharing their location publicly here on WhatBird. Not everyone thinks through what information they're sharing online, and we have a lot of young participants who may be a bit less careful at times (or maybe they know ten times as much as us old folks about online security LOL!)

• Like 4

I’m pretty sure I’m the most Northern member, or at least the only one in Alberta. But that hasn’t been very useful ??‍♂️

I sorta have unintentionally memorized almost everyones general location over the years

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IKLland said:

I’m in. Orange County, Ca. Just don’t put this anywhere other than on this site, ok?

?

You *might* want to consider changing the ebird lists you have that are titled "My neighborhood", although you're doing a great job by not using your real name or photo on there or here!

• Like 2