Whatbird Community

real? or fake?

There's a guy about an hour from here that... ugh... his checklists. The other year he kept reporting all sorts of swan geese and such at a TINY lake(should be called a pond) that is loaded with domestics... and he kept on and kept on reporting. I'd have to talk with the eBird reviewer and we got him to stop. But, he reports SO much, and so much from his yard... whether it's from his yard or neighborhood, there's just SO much that I KNOW he's not seeing and/or identifying correctly.
He started reporting things to more specific subtypes... a guy that can't tell a domestic goose at all suddenly knows an eastern downy woodpecker... and a common northern cardinal... and, sub typing owls that I'm sure he's not even seeing?  Three owl species at his location in one evening? Possible but unlikely. Small forest and then a golf course behind him...  he's reported greater yellowlegs and least sandpiper there too... his list keeps growing... and... he reports some of his ID's with "merlin" as a comment... or "heard with merlin."
We all know how accurate that can be... and he's been warned by two eBird reviewers multiple times and keeps on doing it.

The other day he reported 3 mute swans... I couldn't help but think they were fake... as in fake swans. The only mute swans I've seen have been fake. I brought up fake ones years ago in a discussion and someone told me that they put them on these small ponds to try and draw them in or something, and that, oh they see mute swans flying overhead all the time...
Uh... no... not around here. For this county, there's one report on eBird... and I'd have to go double check that one to see what evidence they have... and, it was probably an escaped pet...
But this guy saw three mute swans... said he had pictures... eventually shared a picture.
There's a perfect line around the neck... a pile of debris on its back... would a swan leave a pile of leaves or some stuff on its back? And what looks like wires to me...  I zoomed in and cropped so you can see it better.
I think this guy is old and his vision and hearing are bad... 
How do you get someone like this, so anxious to eBird(dozens of checklists a day some days... prolific) to step back and realize, understand, and/or admit he doesn't know what he's doing?  ack...

image.thumb.png.6ab232f1f4e7af3ce816de6b784ece9f.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

I am thinking, driving down the road and not being super close, I can see this fooling someone for a moment.
I saw plenty of swans when I was a kid on trips to Boston and such... but as an adult once I became a birder, I need to put mute swan on a list somewhere so, one summer visiting Massachusetts, we were looking... and the first one we found... was fake. Had us fooled for a little bit... not very long though.
And I've seen a few duck decoys, from a distance, that sure had me staring for a minute... but, didn't take long to figure out...
Never mind getting home and studying my own pictures...
How does a person miss this?

3 hours ago, millipede said:

I am thinking, driving down the road and not being super close, I can see this fooling someone for a moment.
I saw plenty of swans when I was a kid on trips to Boston and such... but as an adult once I became a birder, I need to put mute swan on a list somewhere so, one summer visiting Massachusetts, we were looking... and the first one we found... was fake. Had us fooled for a little bit... not very long though.
And I've seen a few duck decoys, from a distance, that sure had me staring for a minute... but, didn't take long to figure out...
Never mind getting home and studying my own pictures...
How does a person miss this?

Bad eyesight, trying to use their bins and camera without their glasses on....

• Like 1