Whatbird Community

Pelagic camera setups

16 hours ago, lonestranger said:

If you're taking 500 shots without using high speed burst mode, you're going to have thousands of images to sift through after you turn burst mode on. Don't say you weren't warned. 🤪 

2191 photos and videos this morning😁  To be fair I did find the 2nd county record for Black-necked Stilt, and much better lighting/looks than the one I found last year that was constantly backlit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

2191 photos and videos this morning😁  To be fair I did find the 2nd county record for Black-necked Stilt, and much better lighting/looks than the one I found last year that was constantly backlit.  

What's the post processing time for 2191 RAW photos and videos? Is there a slight delay loading each 45MP photo in your viewer, or major delays?

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

What's the post processing time for 2191 RAW photos and videos? Is there a slight delay loading each 45MP photo in your viewer, or major delays?

I didn't pay close attention once I saw it was taking some time to load.  I'd guess 15-20 minutes though to load into Lightroom.  Each photo takes about 2 seconds to full show in LR when I am scrolling through them.  I had been doing pretty good till the Stilt showed up.  So some of this was just playing around on my part.  Trying to get the eye focus on the bird, seeing how it reacted.  Practicing flipping between my center point focus button, and eye focus button. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chipperatl said:

I didn't pay close attention once I saw it was taking some time to load.  I'd guess 15-20 minutes though to load into Lightroom.  Each photo takes about 2 seconds to full show in LR when I am scrolling through them.  I had been doing pretty good till the Stilt showed up.  So some of this was just playing around on my part.  Trying to get the eye focus on the bird, seeing how it reacted.  Practicing flipping between my center point focus button, and eye focus button. 

You can expect a lot more playing around before you settle on which customized settings you prefer. I'm still fiddling around and learning new ways of doing different things on the R6. You have even more options than I do so allow yourself lots of time to get well acquainted with your new toy. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:34 PM, chipperatl said:

Also I can't use the touchscreen for adjusting the single point focus as my nose kept hitting the screen and moving it to bottom corner.  

I read something somewhere about the R5 being able to turn the LCD screen off except for menus and playback, making it perform the same way as the 7D's LCD screen, a Firmware feature that the R6 is lacking. I think the setting might be found in your playback menu but I'm not sure.

Since I don't have that option, one which i hate not having, I have chosen to turn the LCD screen off by disabling it entirely. I only flip the screen open for close scrutiny of photos, I use the viewfinder for quickly checking the histogram and focus. Hopefully you can take full advantage of your LCD screen without the annoyances that I have with mine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I read something somewhere about the R5 being able to turn the LCD screen off except for menus and playback, making it perform the same way as the 7D's LCD screen, a Firmware feature that the R6 is lacking. I think the setting might be found in your playback menu but I'm not sure.

Since I don't have that option, one which i hate not having, I have chosen to turn the LCD screen off by disabling it entirely. I only flip the screen open for close scrutiny of photos, I use the viewfinder for quickly checking the histogram and focus. Hopefully you can take full advantage of your LCD screen without the annoyances that I have with mine.

Now that things have started to calm down a little bit I can take some time to go through more stuff on it.  I'm not sure if I would even need that touch screen focal point.  I can just move the camera.  I also need to work on getting the histogram in the viewfinder, just haven't taken the time.  I keep over exposing shots because they look to dark in the screen to me.  

42 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Now that things have started to calm down a little bit I can take some time to go through more stuff on it.  I'm not sure if I would even need that touch screen focal point.  I can just move the camera.  I also need to work on getting the histogram in the viewfinder, just haven't taken the time.  I keep over exposing shots because they look to dark in the screen to me.  

Use the Info button to display the histogram while viewing a photo and it will then show up in the viewfinder during the camera's quick preview after you release the shutter button. Highlight Alert blinkies for over exposure can be enabled in the Playback menu, tab 5 on the R6 if that helps any for the R5.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Use the Info button to display the histogram while viewing a photo and it will then show up in the viewfinder during the camera's quick preview after you release the shutter button. Highlight Alert blinkies for over exposure can be enabled in the Playback menu, tab 5 on the R6 if that helps any for the R5.

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of hitting the info button to cycle through to the 3rd VF screen I had set up to show it.  That is going to be a game changer.  I just found out today when I went to upload to iNaturalist that the GPS isn't in camera, like the 7D II.  Makes sense with the battery life, although those 2K photos I shot didn't even get me down to 1/2.  Now I did get the battery grip, but that I with my old batteries from 7D II.  I also just figured out you can charge in camera with USB-C, although yesterday I just brought my 3rd battery charger and plugged it into the dashboard in the truck to charge my batteries.  I may just keep that in the truck and not worry about brining another cord along.  I did the setup to my phone, but may just get in habit of updating the GPS in LR.  

Have you gotten a flashing icon from your burst mode setting showing in your viewfinder, @chipperatl? Don't panic if you do. I'm not sure it applies to the R5 but the R6's burst mode icon starts flashes constantly when the battery drops below 60%, or when using a lesser battery like the 7Dii's battery. I had to do some research to discover that it simply indicates that the camera might not achieve maximum frames per second due to the battery performance. I appreciate the warning that my shutter speed might drop as the battery power drops, but that could have been done with a subtle color change of the icon and not the constant flashing that I get. Another annoyance that goes on my hate list.

9 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Have you gotten a flashing icon from your burst mode setting showing in your viewfinder, @chipperatl? Don't panic if you do. I'm not sure it applies to the R5 but the R6's burst mode icon starts flashes constantly when the battery drops below 60%, or when using a lesser battery like the 7Dii's battery. I had to do some research to discover that it simply indicates that the camera might not achieve maximum frames per second due to the battery performance. I appreciate the warning that my shutter speed might drop as the battery power drops, but that could have been done with a subtle color change of the icon and not the constant flashing that I get. Another annoyance that goes on my hate list.

Not that I've noticed, but I wouldn't even notice my light meter in the 7D II viewfinder😄.  I think that same thing happens in the R5 as I remember reading it somewhere.  

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I was just going through my menu settings, @chipperatl, and the Screen/viewfinder display setting is in the tools menu on the R6. I have 4 options in my menu, Auto1, Auto2, Screen, and Viewfinder. Hopefully you have the extra options that I think I read about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I was just going through my menu settings, @chipperatl, and the Screen/viewfinder display setting is in the tools menu on the R6. I have 4 options in my menu, Auto1, Auto2, Screen, and Viewfinder. Hopefully you have the extra options that I think I read about.

Same options on R5.  Only place I can make my nose not interact is left side/bottom left.  Which is really too far over for me to even be useful.  I can center it back quick with the set button, or get really skilled with my nose.  I did see where the answer to this is to bey a viewfinder extension.  I might look at that option, or just keep it turned off.

13 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I read something somewhere about the R5 being able to turn the LCD screen off except for menus and playback,

Huh.  I hope I remember to see if my Sony has tgat option.   I too have the screen disabled except for playback. 

Posted (edited)

B&H got the 100-500mm in stock, so I pulled the trigger on it.  Just to top off my insanity of the past week.  Looking forward to the combination though.  I saw where one of the YT photographers was using CRAW to save on space.  I may have to give that a try as my Photo HD is basically filled up.  Need to make some more room on other drives.  I did pick up a 5 TB portable for travel.  

Also looks like my old batteries won't charge via USB-C, only the new batteries will do that.  I did order second battery from Canon, as they were only ones in stock that weren't gouging the price, even with shipping.  

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, chipperatl said:

2191 photos and videos this morning😁

How are you making out with your photo processing? Have you been able to keep up or are you like me and having to restrain your shutter finger and redefine what makes a keeper just to limit transfer, viewing, and post processing time?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

How are you making out with your photo processing? Have you been able to keep up or are you like me and having to restrain your shutter finger and redefine what makes a keeper just to limit transfer, viewing, and post processing time?

I switched to single shot, unless I know I’m taking flight shots.  I still transfer everything and then delete in Lightroom.  Just have to be really picky on what I keep.  

47 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I switched to single shot, unless I know I’m taking flight shots.  I still transfer everything and then delete in Lightroom.  Just have to be really picky on what I keep.  

Unless it's a rarity or there's something really special going on, I usually keep only two or three shots of a species per outing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Unless it's a rarity or there's something really special going on, I usually keep only two or three shots of a species per outing.

The Eye AF, when it locks, gives you a ton of “keepers”.  Not used to having that many, so have to delete more “good” photos.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...