Whatbird Community

Orange-crowned Warbler? High Island, Texas 3-13-22

Attached photos taken at High Island 3-13-22. Looks like Orange-crowned warbler except color is very day. Yellowish underneath but top side, wings, etc. seem very dark. Lighting not the best, taken in shade, but size, shape, behavior, etc. seems to indicate Orange-crowned. Am I correct? Note: early stages of spring migration underway here so it may be something else. Thank you.

2022.0313ej.r.JPG

2022.0313ek.r.JPG

2022.0313el.r.JPG

Thanks for input. I could not detect any noticeable eye-ring so ruled out Nashville. But I could be wrong on this.

There does seem to be a white leading edge to wing where it attaches to body - this is typical of Orange-crowned Warblers I believe. It is the darkness of the bird that has me perplexed - but it might be due to shade.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Why not Nashville?

Coloring looks too drab for nashville. Nashville would be much yellower on some parts of the belly. Also lacks the orange on the head. Overall color and shape give me that Orange-crowned feeling.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

Coloring looks too drab for nashville. Nashville would be much yellower on some parts of the belly. Also lacks the orange on the head. Overall color and shape give me that Orange-crowned feeling.

Hmmmmm

Yeah, you’re right. I’d go with OCWA.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, riak44 said:

Facial pattern is wrong as is tail and bill

it seems to have broken eye ring 

Which may suggest McGilliivray"s

Photo 2 seems to suggest that

Tail and bill are fine for Orange-crowned Warbler. It's also from High Island Texas where there has only been one record of MacGillivray's Warbler since the mid 1980s.

With regards to the broken eye ring...

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/118993131

• Like 3

The bill is certainly fine for Orange-crowned Warbler.

For what it's worth, there are only seven eBird records of MacGillivray's Warbler in the month of March from Texas.

eta: Welcome to Whatbird, riak44!

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 1