Whatbird Community

I've seen Fox Sparrows in trees before. Not often though. 

Question for the others, This is a Zaboria (red) Fox Sparrow, isn't it. Not one of the Sooty birds. Definitely worth documenting if it is. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I've seen Fox Sparrows in trees before. Not often though. 

Question for the others, This is a Zaboria (red) Fox Sparrow, isn't it. Not one of the Sooty birds. Definitely worth documenting if it is. 

Looks good for a red fox sparrow

• Like 3

Can you please help me out with why you see this as a Red Bird? I have no experience with the ssp but what I see here is a bird with dark, irregular splotching on the breast, with a darker bill (bicolored yes, but not particularly yellow), and a red-brown rump. Are you basing the ID on the wingbars?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Can you please help me out with why you see this as a Red Bird? I have no experience with the ssp but what I see here is a bird with dark, irregular splotching on the breast, with a darker bill (bicolored yes, but not particularly yellow), and a red-brown rump. Are you basing the ID on the wingbars?

The deep reddish brown in the face, flanks, wings, and tail, along with heavily streaked mantle…contrasting with the mix of slate gray and red on the face, crown, and nape rule out the other Fox Sparrow ssp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mindy Smith said:

I'm from BC so we don't see foxes in trees, just bears. Thanks for adding the fox photo and for the laugh.

DSCN9789.jpeg

DSCN2982.jpeg

haha I don't even see bears. All I have is a porcupine that moved one tree over in the span of 12 hours. And I though sloths were slow......

• Haha 4