Whatbird Community

Confirming RCSP

Maybe on the Rufous Crowned just kidding with Chipping Sparrow. The Please! just had to be teased. I have very little experience with Rufous-crowned Sparrows but it does look pretty good for it. It such a difficult photo though. Hard to be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IKLland said:

Thanks! Out of curiosity, how’d you rule out chipping?

A lot of it comes from GISS, but the large eyering which Chipping doesn't have, the line extending behind the eye does not match Chipping, the rufous crown is to dull for Chipping when compared with the body, and the dull unstreaked back and tail. 

You might have heard it as well, they tend to be pretty vocal and it's a very distinctive call that can't really be confused with anything. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aidan B said:

A lot of it comes from GISS, but the large eyering which Chipping doesn't have, the line extending behind the eye does not match Chipping, the rufous crown is to dull for Chipping when compared with the body, and the dull unstreaked back and tail. 

You might have heard it as well, they tend to be pretty vocal and it's a very distinctive call that can't really be confused with anything. 

I heard it, but I wasn’t sure it was it. I heard a weird sound coming from the top of the hill, waited a few minutes and this bird flew down. I’m not positive this was the individual I heard, but it probably was. Thankfully, this is a trail right behind my neighborhood that is perfect habitat for them. I’ve long suspected they’re there, and hopefully I can get some better photos this spring and summer. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2022 at 2:15 PM, Aidan B said:

Just wondering. How did you rule out immature white crowned?

5 hours ago, IKLland said:

Just wondering. How did you rule out immature white crowned?

Personally I think the thing that makes them look so different to me is where the crown ends on the back of the head on a white crowned. In a RCSP it continues down into the nape. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

not unless I was completely sure without the photo at all. 

This is a really important point. All too often one is focused on photographing the bird instead of actually viewing and studying it. I am no exception here.

Taking time to slow down and try and observe the bird will almost always yield better results than a crummy photo will. RCSP appears very different than do WCSP when seen well enough. Their vocalizations are also noticeably different and diagnostic. My advice would be to always take more stock in what you observed in person in the field than the feedback people will give you online in relation to a subpar photo. I do think that high quality photos when seeking an ID can be a different story, but honestly, the same logic still applies...study the bird carefully in the field.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

This is a really important point. All too often one is focused on photographing the bird instead of actually viewing and studying it. I am no exception here.

Taking time to slow down and try and observe the bird will almost always yield better results than a crummy photo will. RCSP appears very different than do WCSP when seen well enough. Their vocalizations are also noticeably different and diagnostic. My advice would be to always take more stock in what you observed in person in the field than the feedback people will give you online in relation to a subpar photo. I do think that high quality photos when seeking an ID can be a different story, but honestly, the same logic still applies...study the bird carefully in the field.

This. 

I have learned to bring my bins up before my camera, especially on flying birds, I may miss getting a photo, but most the time I get a definitive id.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1