Whatbird Community

Which sparrow? - Harker Heights, TX - 3/13/22

I was thinking Vesper, but is it a yellow-less Savannah perhaps, or something else?  Or is this angle not providing enough to be sure?  Please advise and thanks! (not at home, so trying to provide photo/checklist links below instead...)

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/425352061?_gl=1*p6g93h*_ga*MjEzNzY4NzIwOC4xNTkxMTk3MTkw*_ga_QR4NVXZ8BM*MTY0NzQ0MjI0OS4xMDQuMS4xNjQ3NDQyMjgxLjI4#_ga=2.265083913.789329443.1647267718-2137687208.1591197190

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S104773694

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Gee, that’s a tough one! Any angles of the tail?

I can check when I get home after work today, but not before then unfortunately (but first I have to drive to W. Houston before sunset to try and see that Pacific-slope Flycatcher that showed up if I can :-))

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

I can check when I get home after work today, but not before then unfortunately (but first I have to drive to W. Houston before sunset to try and see that Pacific-slope Flycatcher that showed up if I can :-))

My votes for vesper, but I’m not positive. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I agree with Savannah Sparrow. It’s pretty pale, making the eyeing appear not that distinct. 

Haha I thought Savannah too. The more experienced people were saying Vesper's so I thought I was wrong because I have been many times in the past...So I just didn't post.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

Haha I thought Savannah too. The more experienced people were saying Vesper's so I thought I was wrong because I have been many times in the past...So I just didn't post.

SAME. I thought it looked Savannah-ish, but I struggle telling them apart, especially in the field, so kept my mouth shut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

haha maybe we should start speaking up. At least it wasn't just me

Yes!  I've been the subject of much gentle ribbing here but I've never seen anyone truly be persecuted.  Unlike the rest of the Internet, at Whatbird it's okay both to be wrong and to admit it!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2