Whatbird Community

"White-winged" Blackbird?

Is this a male Red-winged Blackbird who doesn't know yet that he's supposed to have red epaulettes and no pale edges to his tertials, and that he's not supposed to give squeaky warbles?  (In the video that I got the audio file from, you can see that he's making those sounds at 5 s, 15 s, and 20 s.  Unfortunately the video, even cropped, is too long to upload here or at Imgur.  Sorry about the bad sound.

Woods with a small stream, Santa Fe, N.M., today.

blackbird80crop.jpg

Edited by Jerry Friedman

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hasan said:

This is a normal Red-winged Blackbird, just a young male. The song you're referring to is a House Finch

Thanks.  I think I'd seen the pale wing-feather edges on a mostly black bird before, but not so much white.

The songs I'm referring to are at the very beginning and end of this video, where you can see that it's the blackbird singing.  Unfortunately, for the longer song at the beginning of the audio, I let the camera fall away from him, so you can only see him near the end of it, but I could upload that clip too.

Edit: video didn't work.  Will try again.

Edited by Jerry Friedman