Whatbird Community

Bluebird Nesting 2022

We had a cold front come through last weekend with temperatures down in the 20s in North Alabama.  The female must have decided that was the last 20 degree weather for the season because she started building the nest on Monday!  I would expect that maybe we will see some eggs within the next week!  I'll be interested to see if this is the same female that I have had the last 3 years.  She normally only lays 4 eggs per clutch rather than the typical 5 or sometimes 6 that other females will produce. 4EDDFD36-7AA3-4EF9-A30A-7140464984B6.JPG.4b9e8a020c93cfad1094b52ae796a728.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, tclarkwood said:

All 5 babies fledged last week. Time to remove the nest and get ready for another round!  

Wow...and there aren't even eggs in my bluebirds' nest!  Do they ever reuse or build on top of an old nest?  Do you deep clean between broods or just remove the nest?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:37 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Wow...and there aren't even eggs in my bluebirds' nest!  Do they ever reuse or build on top of an old nest?  Do you deep clean between broods or just remove the nest?

It is probably best to use a spray nozzle and spray out the bird house between broods but my female was so eager to build a new nest that she didn't even give me time to drag the water hose down there and spray it out. She has already built a new nest so I am sure I will see more eggs soon. 

• Like 1

The second brood looks like it will be 4 eggs instead of 5 eggs.  That is pretty common for the second and if there is a third brood for them to have 4 eggs.  The male is pulling double duty right not because he has 5 full size babies chasing him around begging for food from the 1st brood.  The female is not always on the eggs because we are getting closer to 90 degrees so she doesn't have to sit on them when it gets this warm.