Whatbird Community

Are you generous or stingy...

With your reactions (like, thank you...)? Why? I like to think I'm pretty generous. When I first came back to Whatbird.com reaction capabilities were limited and I used mine up quickly ever time I came on. They have since lifted or become much more generous with them. I haven't run out since the increase. I am becoming a little less generous over time as I notice I never get reactions from some people. So I've been withholding some from those people. Not all mind you just some. This isn't really my nature but I also don't want to encourage those that are stingy. I wish we had a Love choice. Then I think I would be even more generous with the like reaction. Saving the love reaction for the really great stuff but acknowledging that I appreciate everyone's participation.

Tell me what goes through your mine when deciding to use those reactions. Especially, the like reaction. And if you consider yourself stingy I'm really curious as to why. One big rule here. DO NOT make any comments personal to any individual.  And just in general be kind. 

• Like 1

What I do is you make a really good post, or post a good photo, I’ll give you a “like”. If somebody answers a question of mine, I’ll give them the “thanks” reaction. If I’m confused, I’ll use the confused reaction, and if I find something funny, I use the “haha” reaction.

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 4

I tend to not use many reactions at all, regardless of a cap. Even on social media. 

Like: agreement, acknowledgement (if I’m not responding), or a photo that I enjoyed

Trophy: Thanks

The last three are self explanatory

• Like 4

I am sure I qualify as "stingy" I give out very few, 2 or 3 a day. Partly just because I really don't think about doing it. I give them out for photos I really liked, and posts that have really good content in them, also posts that pointed out some some really good id points, things like that. 

• Like 3

I am far from generous with my reactions. When I do use the Like button it could be for a variety of reasons. Probably the easiest reason to explain would be because I was in the right mood at the time of reading the post and something just clicked. I don't add a like to posts because the poster has previously liked my posts, nor do I refrain from liking someone else's posts because they haven't liked posts of mine. While it's great to see likes show up on the screen, I have never really given them more than a casual thought and don't put much weight into who has, or hasn't, liked my posts.

Edited by lonestranger
punctuation
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I am sure I qualify as "stingy" I give out very few, 2 or 3 a day. Partly just because I really don't think about doing it. I give them out for photos I really liked, and posts that have really good content in them, also posts that pointed out some some really good id points, things like that. 

I think I really have over used the word "really" in this thead.🤔

• Haha 2

I've always thought that some people don't "like" some of my good photos because of my name.  Just short of 50 years ago I was a logger.  I was a big guy, strong with this huge red beard and for whatever reason the crew started calling me Bigoly.  It may have been in humor because I wasn't always the smartest turnip on the cart and when someone needed a heavy load moved I'd hear "wow no one but Bigoly could do that!"  So I'd do the job with a smile.  One day I was setting chokers while helicopter logging.    The copter took off too early and my buddy got his gloved hand caught between the log and the choker and started being pulled up in the air.  I grabbed him and somehow pulled him off the log, less his glove.  Another fellow on the other end got caught and ended up being dragged through the trees.  He didn't make it.  My name became kinda famous after that and it just stuck with me.  I'm not saying please "like" me, just don't judge me for my name, it's who I am.

• Like 5

Since reactions don’t mean anything, I give them out all the time and I don’t lose sleep if I make a post and don’t get any. 
I don’t really care if it’s a good post, or an amazing photo, it’s just fun reading and looking at other peoples birding  adventures that they were excited enough to share and I want to acknowledge that by ‘liking’ it.
I do sometimes get ‘like fatigue’ or whatever and just scroll along especially if I haven’t been on in a while and there’s lots of posts to sift through. 

Though I always make sure to react in someway to someone who is interacting directly with me to make sure they know I read it.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, lonestranger said:

nor do I refrain from liking someone else's posts because they haven't liked posts of mine.

I didn't use to either. And while I'm not here for the likes, over time I just couldn't help but notice that some people seem really stingy with their likes yet they get plenty.

I'm very generous with likes even with mediocre photos I still like their participation, the sharing of their adventure, their comments...on whatever subject. 

I wonder if some of these folks don't realize that their reactions aren't limited like they use to be.

@Kevinwhat are the chance of getting a love reaction added?

9 hours ago, BigOly said:

I've always thought that some people don't "like" some of my good photos because of my name.  Just short of 50 years ago I was a logger.  I was a big guy, strong with this huge red beard and for whatever reason the crew started calling me Bigoly.  It may have been in humor because I wasn't always the smartest turnip on the cart and when someone needed a heavy load moved I'd hear "wow no one but Bigoly could do that!"  So I'd do the job with a smile.  One day I was setting chokers while helicopter logging.    The copter took off too early and my buddy got his gloved hand caught between the log and the choker and started being pulled up in the air.  I grabbed him and somehow pulled him off the log, less his glove.  Another fellow on the other end got caught and ended up being dragged through the trees.  He didn't make it.  My name became kinda famous after that and it just stuck with me.  I'm not saying please "like" me, just don't judge me for my name, it's who I am.

I truly doubt that anyone here is shallow enough to hold your name against you. I'm sorry you feel that way though. You are obviously a hero. You have seen a ton of great birds and deserve likes even for less than great photos. I think we all know how difficult it can be to get great photos so I like peoples posts for sharing their adventurers and the cool birds they see too.

How about you are you generous with the like button?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Clip said:

When I first came back to Whatbird.com reaction capabilities were limited and I used mine up quickly ever time I came on. They have since lifted or become much more generous with them.

The software that operates the forums was upgraded by the manufacturer.  Part of that upgrade was the removal of the reactions limit.

21 hours ago, Clip said:

I am becoming a little less generous over time as I notice I never get reactions from some people. So I've been withholding some from those people.

How others react to my posts has no effect on how I react to others.  If a post contains useful ID information, hotspot details, or a beautiful photo, then I'll react based on that content, usually without even looking to see who posted it. 

Good content is good content, regardless of who posts it or how they react to my posts (or don't).  Excluding @HamRHead, I've yet to meet anyone else on this forum, and I've met few from the limited number of other forums I've been on over the years.  Few of us here will ever meet or have individual conversations outside this site.  I try to avoid forming opinions of others based solely on having interacted with them in a forum; I don't always succeed.  I have been successful at not holding a poster's comments in one discussion against them in another.  There have been dozens of time across the Internet when I've gone tooth-and-nail with a person on one topic, then stood back-to-back against the world on another subject.

21 hours ago, Clip said:

Tell me what goes through your mine when deciding to use those reactions. Especially, the like reaction.

It depends on the individual forum.  In all cases, it doesn't matter if the poster is responding to me or to someone else, or who the poster is.

• ID forums.  If a poster asks for confirmation of a sighting and I think the poster is correct, I'll 'Like' the original post.   If a poster asks for an ID and I agree with a provided ID, I'll 'Like' the first correct ID post instead of adding yet another 'I agree!' post.  (If it turns out both I and that poster are wrong, I'll remove the 'Like'.)  I'll also 'Like' a post if it includes useful field marks or ID hints for the bird in question.
  • Photo forum.  If I think the photo is attractive, I'll 'Like' it.  But I don't spend much time in the photo forum; I think there are WAY too many individual discussions.
  • General forums.  If I think a post has good information, I'll 'Like' it.  If a non-birding post is entertaining, I may 'Like' or 'Ha-ha' it.

I use 'Thanks' only to react to post that reply directly to a question I asked, or to posts may compliment my rare photo posts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigOly said:

I've always thought that some people don't "like" some of my good photos because of my name.

I'm not sure who would find your name offensive, or why they would hold it against you.  It clearly isn't intended to offend, and it doesn't jam a political position down our throats.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

How others react to my posts has no effect on how I react to others.  If a post contains useful ID information, hotspot details, or a beautiful photo, then I'll react based on that content, usually without even looking to see who posted it. 

I made this seem too much like it is about me. The stingy people I'm talking about don't just hold reaction from my posts but from everyone and I don't get that. This is a social networking/birding sight. Social means it isn't all about them. This is the impression I get from those that post and get reactions but never or very rarely give them. I see way too much of the, it is all about me attitude, in today's world and I'm not sure it is a good thing. So withholding likes from these people is my small way of trying to make a small difference. Yes it probably goes completely without notice. But, to counter this there are more people who are both kind and generous and oooohhh so not self absorbed and I want to encourage those folks by giving reactions and even going out of my way to do so.   

39 minutes ago, Clip said:

The stingy people I'm talking about don't just hold reaction from my posts but from everyone and I don't get that. 

What's the minimum number of reactions someone has to give to not be regarded as stingy? 

This is a social networking/birding sight. Social means it isn't all about them.

Not everyone comes to a so-called 'social' site to be social.   For example, I don't 'Follow' anyone; why bother when I'm going to read the topics that interest me and mostly ignore those that don't, regardless of who posts them.  Some folks are here only for information, some to share their entire lives. 

This is the impression I get from those that post and get reactions but never or very rarely give them.

People have no control over who attached icons to their posts.  I don't see why a lack of reaction would be held against anyone, but I really don't understand how many 'Likes' a person has plays into it.  If I have hundreds of 'Likes', how is my failure to react more offensive than someone with no 'Likes'?  Neither of us is reacting, and I didn't deliberately solicit the 'Likes' others gave me.

So withholding likes from these people is my small way of trying to make a small difference. Yes it probably goes completely without notice.

I'm not sure what 'difference' you're trying to make.  Since others don't know what your intention is, I'm positive it goes without notice. 

I made this seem too much like it is about me.

Yes, you have.  You seem to be finding offense where none is intended.  A lack of reaction doesn't mean someone is deliberately snubbing someone else.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 8

I see a similarity here to an incident in the past where a member was comparing themselves to another member based on what parts of the forum/threads they did or didn't participate in. We ALL use the forums for our OWN enjoyment, in our OWN ways. Comparing how one member behaves and judging them against how I behave, well, we all know that I behave better than everyone else all the time, or at least most everyone else most of the time, so everyone should behave like me, right? 😜 Sorry, I understand being curious about why people use their reactions, or don't use them, but I don't understand why it bothers you because some people get them but don't give them.

Edited by lonestranger
emoticon added
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What's the minimum number of reactions someone has to give to not be regarded as stingy? 

Not everyone comes to a so-called 'social' site to be social.   For example, I don't 'Follow' anyone; why bother when I'm going to read the topics that interest me and mostly ignore those that don't, regardless of who posts them.  Some folks are here only for information, some to share their entire lives. 

People have no control over who attached icons to their posts.  I don't see why a lack of reaction would be held against anyone, but I really don't understand how many 'Likes' a person has plays into it.  If I have hundreds of 'Likes', how is my failure to react more offensive than someone with no 'Likes'?  Neither of us is reacting, and I didn't deliberately solicit the 'Likes' others gave me.

I'm not sure what 'difference' you're trying to make.  Since others don't know what your intention is, I'm positive it goes without notice. 

Yes, you have.  You seem to be finding offense where none is intended.  A lack of reaction doesn't mean someone is deliberately snubbing someone else.

All I can is you have blown this completely out of portion.

3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Sorry, I understand being curious about why people use their reactions, or don't use them, but I don't understand why it bothers you because some people get them but don't give them.

Just like with @Charlie Spencer you have blown this out of portion. Seems to me I recall another incident where the same was done recently. Yes I'm curious what the mind set is, does it truly bother me heck NO! With everything going on in the World right now this is no more than a distraction.

22 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm curious Kevin if you see a difference in your generosity from now vs. before you were admin.?

2 minutes ago, Clip said:

I'm curious Kevin if you see a difference in your generosity from now vs. before you were admin.?

I don’t think there would be, at least if I was @Kevin. Why would there be? Just because you become admin doesn’t mean your opinions about posts or anything change.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I don’t think there would be, at least if I was @Kevin. Why would there be? Just because you become admin doesn’t mean your opinions about posts or anything change.

I have no idea but sometimes people do change as they move up in the world. Not necessarily in a bad way either. So I'm curious if he feels like it changed him.

Edited by Clip

Although this thread shows signs of going downhill fast, it's fine to discuss how you use the reactions. It's NOT fine to criticize how other people use them, MUCH LESS make assumptions about their negative (attentions sorry, typo...) intentions because they do or don't click on reactions. They mean very little in the great scheme of things, and are not worth stressing about. Calling people stingy and accusing them of not clicking reactions for nefarious reasons is unacceptable, and if it continues users will be moderated, and we'll lock this thread if necessary. 

Edited by Aveschapines
typo; wrong word
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I am going to respond to the questions asked directly to me, and I will not be posting on this thread again, unless I am made to in a official capacity...Which I hope is not needed. 

9 hours ago, Clip said:

@Kevinwhat are the chance of getting a love reaction added?

Sorry, but as I a moderator I have no control over what reactions are used or not used. 

2 hours ago, Clip said:

No, I don't think so. 

8 hours ago, IKLland said:

In some circumstances, being a moderator includes being a leader, or at least taking on some leadership responsibilities.  Posts you might have ignored as a member may be ones you want to encourage as a mod.  There may be off-color posts you find personally amusing but don't want to encourage by 'Liking'.

I'm not saying this describes moderatorship at Whatbird.  Just pointing out circumstances where being a mod may require reactions that differ from personal opinion.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

In some circumstances, being a moderator includes being a leader, or at least taking on some leadership responsibilities.  Posts you might have ignored as a member may be ones you want to encourage as a mod.  There may be off-color posts you find personally amusing but don't want to encourage by 'Liking'.

I'm not saying this describes moderatorship at Whatbird.  Just pointing out circumstances where being a mod may require reactions that differ from personal opinion.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

I agree, as a mod I feel greater responsibility to encourage appropriate behavior and be sure not to participate in inappropriate behavior. I try to be very aware of that, and I know Kevin does too. (We are both human beings, though, as it turns out.) Whether that directly affects clicking on reactions is another matter; I'm not sure it does for me either. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kevin said:

I am going to respond to the questions asked directly to me, and I will not be posting on this thread again, unless I am made to in a official capacity...Which I hope is not needed. 

Sorry, but as I a moderator I have no control over what reactions are used or not used. 

No, I don't think so. 

Short but sweet.