Whatbird Community

California Bird Records Committee Introduced Species Watch List

I thought this may be of interest to some on this forum since the conversation about feral/naturalized/escaped bird(s) and small established populations of them seems to come up fairly regularly. Note: this is California-specific and indicates the species potential for addition to the state's official checklist, as determined by the CBRC. 

Keep in mind, this document reflects the CBRC's current views on these specific species and their status and distribution within CA. This is subject to change over time, and may. 

Lastly, the question of these specific populations of birds most often comes up when determining something is a "lifer" or not, and whether "species x" is countable or not.  For some, this document may help inform them in their choices of what to count or not, while for others this list may have zero bearing over their personal life list. Either way, I thought I would share it.

https://www.californiabirds.org/CBRC Annotated Watch List_Mar2022.pdf

• Like 6

In general, very little is known about the basic biology and ecology of many of the naturalized populations occurring in California. In addition to a lack of knowledge regarding overall population sizes and trends, there is limited data for most introduced species on habitat requirements, nest-site selection, breeding phenology, food habits, local movement and dispersal, and impacts (negative or positive) on native species. While some aspects of avian biology and ecology require rigorous or carefully designed studies, many of the above can be addressed with careful and dedicated observation by amateurs (community scientists), either during the course of general birding or through targeted effort. We encourage the accumulation and publication of data on non-native birds by all observers, both amateur and professional.

From the introduction of the paper. This surprised me given how heavily birded some of these CA regions are.

Here’s my question. What I count on ebird, I count on my personal list. 
Does ebird want us to report birds like red lores parrot, Egyptian goose, mandarin duck, and swindles white eyes? Those are not on the state list, but everybody seems to report them to Ebird, including me. Thanks! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Does ebird want us to report birds like red lores parrot, Egyptian goose, mandarin duck, and swindles white eyes? Those are not on the state list, but everybody seems to report them to Ebird, including me. Thanks! 

Who did the white-eyes swindle 😛

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, IKLland said:

eBird counts everything and wants you to report everything. eBird’s main concern is not listing. States publish official state lists and the ABA has an official list. For example, one can go to Hawaii and add every single introduced species on a checklist. While all of these will appear in eBird, and will be added to your life list on eBird, not all of those species are considered countable by the ABA. Hawaii has an official list as well. 

TBH, that’s why people often say “your list is your list.” It can be confusing, and what one person counts tends to be a very personal decision. For me, I don’t count everything that is on eBird. I tend to align my lists with the state of CA list and the ABA list. Many people who are serious state listers in CA do not count introduced birds. Their lists are NIB (No Introduced Birds). That being said, when I eventually travel to Florida or Hawaii, I will likely look in depth at the ABA list and the particular state list when deciding what to count for my personal life list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DLecy said:

eBird counts everything and wants you to report everything. eBird’s main concern is not listing. States publish official state lists and the ABA has an official list. For example, one can go to Hawaii and add every single introduced species on a checklist. While all of these will appear in eBird, and will be added to your life list on eBird, not all of those species are considered countable by the ABA. Hawaii has an official list as well. 

TBH, that’s why people often say “your list is your list.” It can be confusing, and what one person counts tends to be a very personal decision. For me, I don’t count everything that is on eBird. I tend to align my lists with the state of CA list and the ABA list. Many people who are serious state listers in CA do not count introduced birds. Their lists are NIB (No Introduced Birds). That being said, when I eventually travel to Florida or Hawaii, I will likely look in depth at the ABA list and the particular state list when deciding what to count for my personal life list.

Thanks. What I think I'm going to do is count everything for Ebird, and on my personal list count everything that is on the state list. I used to think Ebird wanted only birds that were countable, and since other people were submitting them to ebird I thought I should've. Either way, submit all of those that aren't yet on the state list to Ebird, right?