Whatbird Community

When you know you're going to be out long enough to get thirsty, how do you bring water along?  I'm already wearing a harness for binos and an over-the-shoulder camera bag, so I'm not enthused about Camel-Bak or similar systems.  On the other hand, I'm not fond of hanging stuff off my belt; I already have enough gut trying to push my waistband out of the way without adding 16 - 24 ounces of water tugging at belt loops.

What's your solution?  Thanks.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Smaller bottles? I just bought some 12 oz today. I can't think of any other solution. I use an inexpensive plastic product called Aqua Clip. It hangs on your belt and the neck of the water bottle snaps into it. There are similar products but this is the only one I have used. Lifespan is not that great so I usually keep several on hand. Also, be aware that some water bottles have a thinner neck and don't work. I'm thinking Sam's club water bottles don't fit. And some of the cheaper water bottles are awfully noisy.

13 hours ago, chipperatl said:

This would be the part of birding us northerly latituders rarely have to worry about.  

Could you use something like this on your camera bag?

There is a D-ring on the camera bag.  I have a spare carbiner, and my current bottle has a loop on it.  Maybe I'll test-drive the concept this weekend.

Thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

There is a D-ring on the camera bag.  I have a spare carbiner, and my current bottle has a loop on it.  Maybe I'll test-drive the concept this weekend.

Thanks.

The more I think about this and similar options, I think walking will start it swinging and banging on my thigh or knee or undertail coverts.  

I'm really tempted to look for surplus Army 'TA-50' gear.  Suspenders, hang the binos off the front, and a belt at the bottom.  Camera bag mounts on the belt on the right hip, canteen on the left, maybe fanny pack on the back for munchies.  Time to start Googling...

41 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The more I think about this and similar options, I think walking will start it swinging and banging on my thigh or knee or undertail coverts.  

I'm really tempted to look for surplus Army 'TA-50' gear.  Suspenders, hang the binos off the front, and a belt at the bottom.  Camera bag mounts on the belt on the right hip, canteen on the left, maybe fanny pack on the back for munchies.  Time to start Googling...

There are MOLLE water bottle pouches, if you choose to go that route.  

• Like 1

This is why I always bird with a light pack. Water bottle in one side pouch, phone and either sunscreen or bugspray in the other. I always bring snacks, too. Then it's a no brainer where my keys and anything else I need to bring go. I do notice I'm the only one that birds that way at Phinizy, but hey, I'm never thirsty or hungry!

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, meghann said:

This is why I always bird with a light pack. Water bottle in one side pouch, phone and either sunscreen or bugspray in the other. I always bring snacks, too. Then it's a no brainer where my keys and anything else I need to bring go. I do notice I'm the only one that birds that way at Phinizy, but hey, I'm never thirsty or hungry!

I have a good, new pack I received free at  racetrack.  I've never put it on. I like that idea best but I'm not sure how I would fit it around the harness and camera strap. 

Are you birding Phinizy again?  I may be there next weekend.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

32 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I have a good, new pack I received free at  racetrack.  I've never put it on. I like that idea best but I'm not sure how I would fit it around the harness and camera strap. 

Are you birding Phinizy again?  I may be there next weekend.

One lesson I've learned: put the camera strap on AFTER the pack, if you use a sling like I do. I just handhold my binoculars. Even without the pack, I just couldn't get comfortable with the binoc harness and camera strap. We should engineer a pack that somehow integrates holding binoculars.

I have tentatively started birding Phinizy again (especially after Liam tempted me there with a Barn Owl), I'll have to see about next weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

http://augustaaikenaudubon.org/?p=571

If you're going, email Lois Sutton to let her know.  If they don't have enough people, they cancel.

birdercroakie@gmail.com

Yeah, I know Lois. It being with the group makes me much less likely to go. There may or may not be someone who usually birds with that group that I'm avoiding. :classic_ninja:

(It's NOT Lois, though.)

• Like 1

I also wear a backpack with an inner pouch for a Camel-back type hydration bag and an opening to thread the tube through and a loop for fastening it on the strap. My group birding excursions tend to be marathons - at least 8 hours, often 12 or more - and usually people bring their own food and drinks; sometimes someone brings food for everyone, or everyone brings something to share. I can usually make 2 liters of water last if it's not too hot. I refill my water bag any chance I get. There's also room for bag meals, extra clothes, and bug spray if needed. 

I have a birding vest I made that has a pocket on the back that will hold a 2-liter bottle of water (or 2 or 3 smallerbottles) but it doesn't fit me anymore. It worked well until I had to bend over, sometimes the water bottles would fall out! The vest also has various pockets on the front for phone, money, food, and other equipment, but often I still needed a backpack for major birding excursions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chipperatl said:

Isn’t hot enough, for long enough, that drinking can’t wait till I get back to the mobile water storage vehicle.  😃

OK LOL! I drink even when it's cold out. But I drink more water than the average person, I think.

16 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

OK LOL! I drink even when it's cold out. But I drink more water than the average person, I think.

I usually wait to drink, so as to not tempt fate, if I can help it.  Also, at least for me, not a lot of places that require the marathon trips you described.  I think Pte. Mou gets birded that way, as people seem to choose to bike it then try to walk the whole thing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I usually wait to drink, so as to not tempt fate, if I can help it.  Also, at least for me, not a lot of places that require the marathon trips you described.  I think Pte. Mou gets birded that way, as people seem to choose to bike it then try to walk the whole thing.  

I did a Big Day once with a group; we were in a vehicle and planning to move around a lot so I didn't worry as much about water as usual. We started around 4 AM and finished at about 8 PM. I ran out of water quickly and every place we stopped somehow there was no opportunity to buy water (tap water, where available, can't be trusted to be safe to drink, so there are no public water fountains and drinking from a tap would have to be an emergency situation only). Our team leader had literally planned everything out down to the minute so I didn't want to throw off the schedule looking for water. Someone got me a bottle of Gatorade at one point when I was feeling very rough, but I was REALLY dehydrated. I didn't have to see a man about a horse all day; when we finished and went to dinner I bought a 2-liter bottle of water and downed it (we were back in the city in a restaurant) and when I finally visited the facilities during dinner my urine looked like orange juice! 

Also in this area we usually face a variety of weather conditions, especially when traveling like that; it was below freezing when we started and close to 100 at midday on the coast. But even when I'm hanging out at home I don't go more than a few hours without drinking water.

• Like 1