Whatbird Community
Johnd

Flikr Adjusting Free Service

I read about this earlier today. I have to keep my opinion to myself if I want to keep using this website though. I don't think I could express my thoughts without using language that would get me banned. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is Flickr's page explaining the same changes as mentioned in the article above. https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

I currently have 1685 photos on flickr which exceeds their new limit, yet those same 1685 photos only use 0.2% of the free 1TB limit. Obviously I don't need 1TB of storage, but I want permanent, sharable, storage for my uploaded files so that sites like Whatbird don't look like swiss cheese when flickr forcibly deletes the content I, and many others, have posted here. We often complain when someone deletes a photo at the source because it ruins the flow of the thread it's posted in, especially in the ID forums where a deleted photo makes it impossible for the next viewer to learn anything. I can just imagine what the forums will look like once flickr forces people to delete their photos, or forcibly deletes them for them. Comments like, 'notice the primary projection compared to the tail length' will have no meaning once those flycatcher photos get deleted from flickr to make room for the next new uploaded photo.

Just imagine what it would be like if we were still operating on the old forum with years and years of photos that would just disappear one day. Yikes.

I wonder how @Administrator feels about the upcoming flickr changes and how he thinks the deleted photos from flickr will affect Whatbird? Also, I wonder if there is anything within Whatbird's powers to preserve the content already posted here so the forums remain coherent when photos inevitably get deleted from their source in the future? 

So what are our other options if we don't want to pay $50 a year to use 0.2% of what we had for free?

Okay, I have shared some of my thoughts and I didn't use foul language once, I think I did very well. :classic_biggrin:   I didn't even mention that I think the new owners of FL*%#@*# are being greedy @$$%#&$#@$ 🤬

I appreciate the restraint in expressing your feelings on this matter 😄

We already saw what it would look like when Photobucket suddenly stopped hosting photos on other sites. I think probably more people use Flickr, though... This is creating problems on lots of sites, not just here. It does seem like a huge and sudden change. 

On another site I use people have said that there is a feature for downloading your photos in batches of 500, if that helps. I have switched to using Facebook to host my photos for posting here; a few people have said they can't see the photos at work, but I'm not overly concerned about that. You can set the photos to private if you want. 

But I guess the short story is we can never know a site will last forever under its current conditions 😞

Glad I only have 300 photos on Flickr.  But this is why I don't store photos on the internet.  You never know what they're going to do with your stuff.  I keep all my original photos on my computer and backed up on two external hard drives.  I now only pick our very best photos to share on Flickr and a lot of times I've already uploaded them to eBird, so I share my photos from there.

I admit that I sucked it up and paid the $25.00 fee and I'll likely pay the $50.00 fee.  I got hit with the Photobucket fiasco so the cost of a latte a month seems okay right now.

I already have accounts at imgur and google for sharing photos but I've gotten most comfortable using flickr. I don't use those websites so much for the storage aspect since ALL of my photos, even the terrible ones, get backed up monthly on an external hard drive. I use those websites for somewhere to host the photos I want to share online, like here at Whatbird. I guess it's the method they're using that bothers me most. It's like they're holding everyone's excess photos hostage and if we don't pay their $50 ransom they'll delete the photos from whatever websites they've been shared on. I think that's a shady business tactic that I am not willing to endorse with my money.

You take your chances with any site, I have already started to download the pics I have on there, I will get under the 1000 limit and then rotate out the older ones as I go, your right,it does suck.I will not be held ransom just so I can have pictures hosted there, in the end, I will have all my pics on a hard drive and they will get less of my time, 1000 pics is roughly two years of photos for me, so I dont see it as anymore then an annoyance to me and a money grab by Smugmug to people who host their pics there for a reason,ie.. to sell or display, they will be the ones who will have to pony up the cash to keep their pics live on the net, I completely stopped using photobucket after their money grab, Flickr will be harder to stop for me because of all the contacts and photographers I have met on there. That said, I will be using it less in the future for posting pics here,probably use one of the free hosting sites to just put them here instead of goin through flickr...

I have been through too many photosite changes that I finally got tired of moving my stuff. Although I have everything on backup drives., I paid the yearly fee.  I am getting too old to fight the system anymore... 

28 minutes ago, Spyonabird said:

I have been through too many photosite changes that I finally got tired of moving my stuff. Although I have everything on backup drives., I paid the yearly fee.  I am getting too old to fight the system anymore... 

and thats why they did it, people dont want to change,I totally understand...

I wonder how FL@$%#r would react if everyone that had to delete their excess photos deleted ALL of their photos instead of just those exceeding the 1000 photo limit. I doubt it would have any impact but I am seriously thinking about waiting until they delete my excess photos and then, in protest to their shady business tactics, delete the remaining 1000 photos myself. I know, I know, that's self defeating but with tactics like this, I don't want to support FL@$%#r. I won't support them by being blackmailed into paying for a Pro account and am seriously questioning whether I want my photos used to provide a forum for advertisers to support them. Maybe I'll just upload 1000 images that all say "this photo removed by FL@$%#r". :classic_laugh:

Considering I am already paying for my own website, I think that will have to be the future of my photo storage.  Stinks since Flickr was so easy and convenient.  

I spent my coffee time this morning counting out the excess 685 of my oldest photos just to see where that took me date wise. My first upload was on Aug 12, 2008 and four years later, by Sept 1, 2012 I had uploaded the 685 photos now scheduled for deletion. Most of those photos, probably 90% or more, were shared on the old Whatbird. Since there is no longer an old Whatbird, the deletion of my older photos won't have any effect on me or cause blank spots across the internet. The deletion of other people's photos will probably have more of an impact on me than the deletion of my own files. I suspect it'll be that way for a lot of people. We can all backup our own content before it's deleted, but we can't backup all the photos that are an integral part of our favourite websites. I know it's a waste of energy, but I'm hoping that they see past the money and decide to change their plans for mass deletion.

• Like 2

I dont think they will change thier minds.

Nothing in it for them to keep the excess photos of those that don't pay.

Smugmug may have bought something they don't want anymore, in its current form anyway.

So they make every one pay like Photobucket did and  kill the site.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, Johnd said:

It took about 24 hours but it seemed to work perfectly on all my Flickr pics.  A little end of year bonus donation to eBird for pulling that off.  I was trying to manually update.  This saved me H-O-U-R-S of time.  

I might not make friends with this post, but maybe some are being a little hard on Flickr/SmugMug. Whatbird it's self would not be here if not for the money that iBird brings in. For those who have their own websites, you know it cost money. Think of how many users are on Flickr and how much collected space is being used by the total number of them. Flickr ran for years on the few who wished to pay for the use of the site and for those who used the free account (which gave you TONS of space, my self included) they used adds to help pay the cost. I think it got to a point where Flickr could no longer pay the bills without more paying accounts and decided to sell. SmugMug, as a new owner could see the problem and put a small restriction in place to reduce the cost of server space needed to store the millions of photo data, but yet still offer a free service.

I paid for my account to keep from having to see photo's deleted. Really it would have been no issue as I have everything backed up. But being a former website owner/editor that could not afford the on going cost when the revenue just was not enough, I had to close down shop. I don't blame Flickr/SmugMug. It's a business and those hard choices have to be made and sometimes they are not popular choices. 

I came here today to see if there was a post (like on the old forum) for people to add their Flickr link and Flickr screen name so people from Whatbird could connect. We have a Group for Whatbirders only and was going to invite anyone whom has not joined us there to do so. Now I'm not sure others will join based on this topic. But if you are, in my signature  is a link to our group.

I conclusion to my ramblings, I just want to say.... Not everything in life is free. Free for us is not free for those who provide it.

Edited by RustyE
  • Like 2

I agree with @RustyE  Nothing is free, it has to cost someone, somewhere, somehow. I have been a Flickr user for 11 years. A couple of years ago when they announced that only a certain amount of photos could be stored there for free and a charge would be implemented for any beyond that amount, I muttered and grumbled, griped and moaned, and then signed up for  their Pro account, bit the bullet and paid the price, which in my opinion isn't really that much. I have 800+ photos there, and like RustyE I have them backed up elsewhere as well. It is very handy to post them here from Flickr.