Whatbird Community

seen today in central nc

sorry, no pic 😞 the warbler i saw had a smaller pointy bill (more like orange-crowned rather than pine), it was in some thick(ish) shrubs at about eye level preening. unfortunately due to the shadows the lighting was not great so a solid color determination was not possible (for me at least), but 3 of us got long looks at him. we agreed that it had yellow underparts from chin to vent (near as we could tell), not a bright bold yellow, but more than a wash (the 'not bright yellow' may be due to poor lighting). upperparts color was not determined. and it had a bold white eye ring, (i daresay 'very' bold). a couple instances i thought it might be a broken eye ring, but if so, only very slightly. for the sake of argument, id say it was solid but still wanted to mention the 'possible' break. at one time it twisted enough to get a brief glance at its wings and it seemed to have faint wing bars; id call them faint to 'weakly-moderate,' not like what youd see on a pine.

the only thing i can reasonably come up with is a nashville. especially since that eye ring was so bold and evident. for me, it absolutely dominated every other field mark. i've never seen a warbler with such a thick white eye ring... coincidentally, ive never seen a nashville either 😆 (they are also uncommon in these parts)

thoughts?

thanks!

Edited by insanityslave

Well, maybe I can help narrow it down…

- 12 eastern warblers with yellow from chest to vent

- the eye ring leaves Nashville, Connecticut, Yellowthroat, and potentially Orange-crowned

- wing bars, chin color and thin bill leaves Nashville, which I believe migrates earlier too.

- non warbler possibilities, maybe RC Kinglet?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Avery said:

Well, maybe I can help narrow it down…

- 12 eastern warblers with yellow from chest to vent

- the eye ring leaves Nashville, Connecticut, Yellowthroat, and potentially Orange-crowned

- wing bars, chin color and thin bill leaves Nashville, which I believe migrates earlier too.

- non warbler possibilities, maybe RC Kinglet?

that was my train of thought as well. kinglet crossed my mind briefly, but it was too big and the yellow wasnt right for that.

thanks for the input! 

• Like 1