Whatbird Community

silhouette raptors

This might not be even remotely possible... but, why not.
I was out birding in my yard (NW Arkansas) the other day and there were a few nearby raptors. The one that was closer was clearly a broad-winged hawk.. but then I heard some high pitched sounds and saw another raptor zipping across the sky... not circling like the hawk but like it had somewhere to be. It let out some high pitched sounds... I'll have to listen to some recording again and see what sounded similar. Through the binoculars it gave me a good peregrine feel... I did some playback after and, it was pretty close. I snapped a few pictures after I hurriedly turned the camera on(didn't think I'd need it on the moment I walked out the door... ugh) not that I would have gotten settings right anyway. One of these days I need to learn how to actually use the camera and not just use auto presets and such.

anyway... all I got were dark silhouettes... 😕  and these are looking at an angle not below so you can't REALLY get a sense of the overall shape, I don't think. You can get an idea of the wingtips a little as well as the shape of the head... tail was closed as it was not circling...

image.png.c7a771b8828db3a003222e0d71773b63.png

image.thumb.png.865fa9e4c7086cd6fc596421a68cd298.png

Thanks. I will leave it as hawk sp.

It REALLY gave me a falcon feel when I viewed it through binoculars and the high pitched whistles were close... but, broad-winged would make sense since I've been seeing a few anyway.
The call didn't sound like the typical broad-winged but I can say with quite a bit of certainty it wasn't the call of red-tailed, red-shouldered, sharp-shinned, or cooper's. This would all pretty strongly leave it with broad-winged but for eBird I'll still leave it as hawp sp.  🙂

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Not a falcon..... 

can you expand on that any? I can't explain why it looked like a falcon to me but I can say that I was viewing it through binoculars before I even had my camera on... so, angle and posture changed in that time.
I can see things being a little easier if this was directly below but, at an angle... and given that all birds change their form while flying... could you be certain with such a lousy photo?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millipede said:

can you expand on that any? I can't explain why it looked like a falcon to me but I can say that I was viewing it through binoculars before I even had my camera on... so, angle and posture changed in that time.

I can see things being a little easier if this was directly below but, at an angle... and given that all birds change their form while flying... could you be certain with such a lousy photo?

For me, even taking possible postures into account, those wings are way too wide for a falcon.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, millipede said:

It is totally built wrong, it just does not have the feel of a falcon, the wings are too wide, we are seeing "fingers", also, for whatever it may be worth, it's head shape looks like a hawk, not a falcon. 

• Like 1